Cam Chain Tensioner Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain Tensioner Problem

I recently took the cylinder head off of my 1982 GS850. I replaced the worn cylinder head gasket, and I am now in the process of putting the darn thing back together. I have gotten the intake and exhaust cams set correctly, the chain is over them, and I have finished setting the timing. (All this according to a Cyclemer (sp?) manual). I followed the instructions in the manual for installing the cam chain tensioner, then tried to rotate the engine. No luck, it turns about 1/2-3/4 turn and then locks. I removed the tensioner, and the engine rotates freely. Put tensioner back in, same problem, she locks again. Any suggestions? Also, which way is the engine supposed to rotate down by the points, is it clockwise, or counter-clockwise? In order to get mine to turn, I have to turn the big nut next to teh point counter-clockwise. Even without the tensioner in the engine will only go 1/2-3/4 turn clockwise, but counter she spins fine. Thanks for your help.

I believe it is supposed to turn clockwise.

Comment

BE CAREFULL I think you have the cam timing off? Do you have a manual??

Comment

When you're turning it with the large 19mm bolt under the points cover, the engine rotates clockwise.

The timing is seriously wrong -- PLEASE don't force anything and please STOP turning the engine backwards!

Did you set the engine at TDC (top dead center) before putting in the cams? Sounds like you've carefully counted links etc. and the cams are timed to each other, but it's no good unless the engine is set at exactly the right point in its rotation before you put the cams in.

The other possibility is that you've gotten confused by which marks mean what on the cam sprockets. I have both the Haynes and Clymer manuals, and one of them (don't remember which) has a much clearer diagram and description.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X