Hard starting gs550t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard starting gs550t

HI i bought this 1981 gs550t about a year ago. It is really hard to start and when it does run it runs like crap. Top speed is aroung 65mph. please help.

Run a compression test and check timing, check to make sure all plugs are firing. after that I would go through the carbs and give them a good cleaning. Also chech to make sure that the fuel valve is working properly

Comment

I would suggest while your carbs are apart for cleaning you go ahead and replace all the needles and orings. Check your boots (into and out of the carbs) and get your carbs synced. Clean your air filter. Most (95%) of the time my bike starts to even think about bogging down at speed its a dirty filter.

Comment

thanks i took the carbs off and replaced all of the main jet but one i couldn't get it loose. usually when it is running for a while it'll start back up. but lately it is getting harder to start.

Today it wouldn't even fire or nothing just roll over pretty good. How do i sync. my carbs is it something i can do or not.

Comment

still having lots of starting problems with my gs550t

i have a 1981 gs550t. been having some trouble getting it started. when it does start it runs like ####. need some help

Comment

Are all 4 pipes getting hot??? still could have carb problem, Try a new set of spark plugs

Comment

G,day.....I empathise, Ive got a gs750 that runs fine when I finally get it going, but Iam losin weight kickin and pushin the damn thing. Ive been trying to sell the damn thing for 3 years, rebuilt the top end, new plugs, points, coils, capasitors and it still doesnt start, if anyone has any ideas shout out.

Comment

i have the same bike (550t ) like everyone is saying check the pipes if you can get it started and see if they all heat up the same time. if not, probly dirty carbs. i would also recomend new plugs gaped right (about .8mill i think) they make a big diffrence. mine was running bad from all my monkeying with the carbs and stuff and then new plugs and every thing was happy. also check to make sure all four plugs are fireing maybe bad coils. what is your air idler screw set at how many turns out? and a buy a sync tool (mercury stixs) at jc whitney $40 bucks about.
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                X