Intake O-Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake O-Rings

My bike idles about 1000 when still cold, then 1400 when at operating temp (which is usual temp), but 2000 when hotter. Sometimes it actually fluctuates a bit. Going from 1400 to 2000.
    I understand about the intake o-rings.
    First off, I see 2 bolts on the rear of the gas tank, are there more up front?
    Also, what else should I expect taking the gas tank off? It's not in the factory manual. I assume I'm supposed to know this.

I realize I have to take the carbs off, so what else should I do when to that point?
    Should I go ahead and check Valve clearances?
    Also, if you take the carbs off together, do you have to re-synch them? I need to check them anyway, but just wondering.

I'd like to do everything I need to at that point, so any help is appreciated.

Re: Intake O-Rings

Dave, there are NO intake "O" rings on an 83 GS 750. You have a different configuration intake than do the earlier models.

Earl

Originally posted by dmplatt
    My bike idles about 1000 when still cold, then 1400 when at operating temp (which is usual temp), but 2000 when hotter. Sometimes it actually fluctuates a bit. Going from 1400 to 2000.
    I understand about the intake o-rings.
    First off, I see 2 bolts on the rear of the gas tank, are there more up front?
    Also, what else should I expect taking the gas tank off? It's not in the factory manual. I assume I'm supposed to know this.

I realize I have to take the carbs off, so what else should I do when to that point?
    Should I go ahead and check Valve clearances?
    Also, if you take the carbs off together, do you have to re-synch them? I need to check them anyway, but just wondering.

I'd like to do everything I need to at that point, so any help is appreciated.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Alright, what could the problem be? Me thinking I'm so smart did searches here, and I kept hearing about the Intake O-rings. I DO see boots from the Carbs to the cylinder heads, are there NOT O-rings there?

Any help here about my Idle would be apprecitated.

After the Hurricane is fine.

Comment

Dave, on your bike, the induction pipe is integral withthe cylinder head. Your intake boot is just a straight length of hose that fits over the cast spigot on the cylinder head at one end and goes over the end of the carb throat at the other end. Earlier models had no spigot on the cylinder head. Instead they had a rubber induction boot with a flange cast on one end that mated to a flat surface on the cylinder head. The flat mating surfaces are why an "O" ring was required for a seal.

You have CV carbs, probably your idle mixtures are slightly too lean.
        I have the same kind of problem with my 1150. If the engine is cold, the idle mixture stays richer and the bike idles at a low rpm. Once warmed up to normal temp, it idles at a higher rpm. If sitting in traffic causes eng temp to rise above normal, idle also will increase to above normal. Idle mixture is a slight flow, consequently, a change in temperature can have a large effect on the density or saturation of the charge. I adjust idle for normal rpm at average operating temps. You can only adjust idle rpm for one operating temperature. If everything is as it should be, the range of rpm between a cold engine and a warm one is not usually great. That range on my bike is about 3-400 rpm. Cold at start up, it idles at 800 rpm. At normal operating temp, idle is 1100 rpm. Sitting in traffic with a little excess heat build up, about 1200, maybe 1300 rpm.

Earl

Alright, what could the problem be? Me thinking I'm so smart did searches here, and I kept hearing about the Intake O-rings. I DO see boots from the Carbs to the cylinder heads, are there NOT O-rings there?

Any help here about my Idle would be apprecitated.

After the Hurricane is fine.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks Earl,
          My bike doesn't like to idle below 1000 when cold. It starts rattling and wanting to die. Seems I remember my Night Hawk doing the same. When low idle, I'd hear the rods rattle (so to speak).
          This bike likes about 190 on the oil temp and about 1400 RPM - this seems to be normal operating range. When Colder, it has to be choked (normal I assume). when it's hotter - it seems to rise to about 2000.

As long as this is normal, I'm happy.

Earl, wether you like it or not, I'm heading that way in a month or so. So let's let you be the judge? I'm coming down so you and Ron can show me the sights. :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

I think your only problem is needing a carb synch and mixture adjustment. :-) Could be nothing more than a couple plug boots with too much resistance too. It shouldnt rise from 13-1400 to 2000 rpm though.

I'm sure we can find some place to ride to. :-) :-) Nassau is a nice ride, but the water jump is hell. :-)

Earl

This bike likes about 190 on the oil temp and about 1400 RPM - this seems to be normal operating range. When Colder, it has to be choked (normal I assume). when it's hotter - it seems to rise to about 2000.

As long as this is normal, I'm happy.

Earl, wether you like it or not, I'm heading that way in a month or so. So let's let you be the judge? I'm coming down so you and Ron can show me the sights. :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
            X