• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator Rectifier Cooling

I found an interesting site, which I thought I'd pass on:

It may be old hat to some of you but I'd appreciate some feedback

Col

Well, thankfully our GS rectifiers have heatsinks on them.. I wonder if milling the fins off and epoxying say a..... athlon cooler on it would do for the life of the rectifier. Or maybe just a fan on the stock part? there's a guy who rides a meanstreak who mounted his rectifier outside and in the air.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

The only thing that runs hotter then a GS RR is prolly an athlon. I have some nice copper heatsinks laying around, but they stick out WAY too much to go under that side cover. Maye relocate RR to the front of the frame, where it gets lots of airflow.

the best cooling i have done on a PC is watercooled peltier, wonder how that would work 8)

Good article by the way

Comment

On my bike the rectifier points at the rear fender, not the sidecover ;-) so I have room for it. I'm seriously considdering just making a bracket and having it hang out in the breaze by my rear frame.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

On the 1984 GS1100GK, the regulator/rectifier is located way up high, under the left sidecover -- out in the breeze, which is good. On my previous 850's, it was under the battery box, which is not so good.

I have my original r/r and stator on the GK, which now has over 81,000 miles on it. It took a while for Suzuki to get things right on the GS bikes.

Nick

Comment

I replaced my R/R with one from a 1999 CBR. Better unit, less heat, won't fry the stator. (Ebay, $25)

Mark (1980 GS 850)

Comment

Working...
            X