Sounds like O rings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like O rings...

I just finished up reading: http://www.cycleorings.com/intake.html and this sounds like my bike in a nutshell. She'll rev great one day (8k or so) and be lethargic the next (reluctant to go past 5k). With the air filter removed she runs like a champ. I'm reluctant to tackle Kangamagus highway in NH without an air-filter though :P So I gotta get her goin'.

Now looking in the Clymer, removing the cylinder head is OVER my head for the time I have before the trip (and probably over my head given infinite time, honestly). To access these likely culprits (no other couplings leaking from airbox to carbs or carbs to motor), must I REMOVE the cam, exhaust, and then the cylnder head? Or can I do it just pulling the carb bank? Sorry if this has been answered before, I did try the search. Thanks a lot fellow GSers! If it's gonna be as difficult as I fear, I think I may install some speed holes in the airbox.

You just have to remove the carbs and you have full access.

Comment

You shouldn't have to remove the head to get the manifolds off although the screws tend to be difficult to loosen due to corrosion. You will of course have to pull the carb bank.

But from what you describe it sounds like your bike is running way too rich. Removing the air filter will lean it out considerably. Replacing the intake manifold orings won't help with that. When they leak the bike will run too lean. On my 550 the main symptom was a very high idle when warm that could not be adjusted.

Might be time to take the carbies apart and do a cleaning/rebuild...

Debby
      77 GS550
      1979 GS1000N
      2019 Kaw Z900RS
      plus a few more

Comment

Got the same problem myself,with air filter in the bike stalls at idle but remove it & it happily idles.The airbox was full of oil & I have noticed it still runs a bit rich as the plugs are black(dry/sooty)guess it's time to strip the carbs(79 slider type)down & have a look

Comment

Oh forgot to mention,brilliant site,real good information here Anyone driving a 850 around Ayrshire?

Comment

Shoot, I guess theres something else up with her. I did just have the carbs out and they looked mint, no clogging in the main jets or anything.Maybe the bike is getting old and they need to be jetted down some? The motor only has 12k on it, so I wouldn't think its losing compression or anything. I guess I'll have to suck it up and take her to a shop since I can't seem to figure it out. Carbs are foreign to me, but when they were out, they looked clean and a fr3iend confirmed that he thought they were pretty mint. Thanks for the help, I'll let ppl know whatever I find out.

Comment

Working...
            X