Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think my handlebars are bent (80' GS550L)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think my handlebars are bent (80' GS550L)

Was wondering if anybody has put custom handlebars on a 80 GS550L? My hands are close to 90 degrees off of what would be comfortable on the bike (6 to 12 o' clock instead of a comfortable 3 to 6 o' clock). Any advice would be awesome.

Um..yeah, sounds like your steering hub may be off as well if your bars are at those positions.

Dm of mD

Comment

I put "custom" bars on my gs550e. It should have been stupidly easy :-)

It took me three hours to do it the first time. I'm sure the seccond time will take me less than twenty minutes.

First, head to http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/handlebars.htm and order a set of bars. I'd reccomend a new set of grips too just in case you have problems removing the old set.

Seccond remove the left side grip.

Third, loosen the screws that clamp the throttle and left side switch groups on. Keep in mind they have a 1/8" pin in them that will stop them from falling off even if they are a little loose, you need to undo the screws most of the way before you'll be able to finagle them free.

Fourth, now you can loosen the clutch lever, and the brake lever. If you were me you'd take care that the brake lever doesn't end up upside down so you dont' get air in the brake line.

Fifth, now you can unbolt the clamps in the center that hold the handlebars on.

Step six you can move the handlebars to the left side of the bike, and slide the throttle and brake levers off the right side of the handlebars. (there's an end cap on the throttle that prevents you from doing the oppisite.. at least in my case the cables werent' long enough to just slip them off of both ends)

Now you have your old bar and your new bar. on the bottom of the old bar you will see some holes punched into it. You need to measure how far these are from the ends of the bars and take those measurements and drill a hole in the bottom of each side of your new bars to match the old bars.

At this point you can put on your new bars just as the old ones came off.

I bought drag bars for my bike. they are a little low and cause the controls to hit the tank. I'm ordering a set of superbike bars for myself on monday.

If you'd like to see what the superbike bars look like you can check out this http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...25137&start=15 the seccond two pictures show the new bars.

I'm fairly sure that my stock bars are MUCH lower than your bars. the first picture shows my stock bars.

I could probally be coerced into selling my stock bars.... And that would eliminate the drilling step for you.
      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
        I bought drag bars for my bike. they are a little low and cause the controls to hit the tank. I'm ordering a set of superbike bars for myself on monday.
        I did the same thing. Got a set of drag bars from crc2 for my 80gs1000e and they were way too agressive. Got the superbike bars (which are still pretty agressive but give at least a little rise and pullback) and I am a happy camper now. You could also consider Daytona bars which are a step up and back from the superbike ones. Kept the stock bars on the 77gs550 because I like the standard position they give. Also, get some gel grips, made a huge difference for me. Good luck! -D

Comment

Thanks Guys! Your awesome!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X