Which stop leak should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which stop leak should I use?

My 78 GS750 is leaking some oil. I would like to try some stop leak. Any suggestions/warnings?

Thanks

Re: Which stop leak should I use?

Originally posted by MeterPig
    My 78 GS750 is leaking some oil. I would like to try some stop leak. Any suggestions/warnings?

Thanks
    Probably would help if you provided a little more information about the location of your oil leak. Your statement sounds as if you want to "mix" something into your oil like using "stop leak" in a radiator for coolant leaks. If this is the case I would "NOT" recommend any additives to your oil. If you're talking about sealing between mating surfaces where a gasket is used then there are several products, Permatex(Gray, Black, Blue, Copper), YamaBond #3, #4 which all require the disassembly of the components. Another idea....new gaskets.

PS. I reread some of your previous posts. If you're using synthetic oil...I have heard that this can sometimes cause more leaking from an older engine. Just a thought.

Comment

I wouldn't do it if I were you. You have clutch plates that might be effected by it. Where is the oil leaking from? Try just tightening the bolts of the part that's leaking. If that doesn't work and you feel the leak is severe then replace the gasket or if you can get the part off without tearing up the gasket a little silicone gasket sealer will take care of it.

Comment

I admit to being curious, as the the only reference I have seen for stop-leak products was for use in radiators, so I won't try to comment on the product except to to note that anything you add to the oil affects your clutch, and not always in a good way.

The leak may be due to vibration having loosened the bolts a bit. This is normal, and re-tightening them is a recommended procedure, especially on the top-end. There have been comments in both directions, but my suggestion would be to use a torque wrench, as the bolts are small, and they are in an aluminum block.

If, for any reason, you have the bolts out, my suggestion is to wipe them with a oiled rag before installation.

This suggestion causes lots of arguments with mechanics who believe dry is the only way, but the rag removes any grit from the threads and the film of oil left behind reduces the friction between the bolt and the wall threads, and against the washer, thereby reducing the chance of breakage and giving a more accurate torque distribution.

Will they back out? Obviously, some loosening is possible, because that is what they are doing now, but the same torque reading actually gives a bit tighter emplacement on an oiled bolt. My experience has been that they will not back off any sooner.

Dry means variable friction with each bolt/hole, but with oil, friction is the same with all bolts, so you get a more accurate torque reading, as well as a tighter emplacement.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Oil stop leak...

There is stop leak for oil, tranny, and readiator fluids, but I wouldn't suggest using it on a bike...don't even know if I'd use it on a car. What's the problem with the bike? You should fix the problem instead of the just trying to solve the symptom.

Josh

Comment

Re: Which stop leak should I use?

Dont even THINK about putting stop leak into your engine oil. Oil passages are fairly small and stop leak is formulated to BLOCK.
            The better choice would be to replace the leaking gasket.

Earl

Originally posted by MeterPig

Thanks
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thank you every one

Thanks everyone for the advice. The thing leaks like a harly. It is up for a valve adjustment so the valve covers will get new gaskets where there is teh primary leak. It also leak from the bottom somewhere.

Again, thanks for all the tips

Chris
              By, the way, I am not using synthetic, but I am using Motul 20w-50

Comment

while you have it apart to change the valve cover Retorque the cylinder head bolts. May stop or at least slow oil leak

Comment

Working...
                X