Slow start/No Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow start/No Start

Hi, RE: 1981 GS 850G. Bike always seemed like starter was a bit weak or battery low. Slow straining crank over but it always started. After sitting for awhile found it couldn't turn over quick enough to start anymore. Tried 2 good strong batteries but just a way too slow crank over. Had changed oil before it was laid up & it started up then.
    Would brushes on starter be good starting point? Any tips helpful & appreciated. Gotta get it off the lift & on the road. Thanks.

DH

Make sure your clutch is disengaging first.l
    Go with the brushes.. Try to see if the starter is binding at all.. Take off the left side cover(shifter side) youll see the starter gear,idler gear,rotor starter clutch assy....The idler gear has a pin going through it holing it in place,pull it out and remove the gear. Try to start it up.The starter should spin at a good constant speed(fairly quick).If it doesnt you likely found the issue being brushes. If it does try reaching behind the clutch/rotor assy where the big gear is.Try to rotate it it should roll freely in one direction and not the other if it doesnt or then tat could be the problem.

I am thinking that its liekly your starter but since yout there you may as well check the clutch...Keep us posted.

Comment

Slow Start/No Start

Thanks "bybowtie". Had just put in new clutch a few months ago & that was when it gave up the starting ghost.. Felt just like a low battery, short weak attempt then stop dead. Tried the nice strong battery from my GT750 & same& jump from car battery went same way. The clutch is opening properly.
      Went to check brushes tonite. While they are fine & measure 12mm(my HAYNES says 12mm-13mm is standard) there was a humungous amount of carbon dust and crap all over. Almost like somone had worn out prev brushes & replace w/o cleaning. I mean A LOT of dirty black carbon dust throughout the innards.

Also this bike has a known history of having been left out in rain by some fool prev owner. The well for the starter was full of bugs & oil that plugged up the drain hole & bottom of starter body was rusted where it sat in the collected water over the years. Good news is inside of starter, tho dirty showed no sign of any moisture damage at all. Am replacing all rubber seals and will take motor into shop just to let more experienced eyes see it as well. Don't know if there is any continuity or resistence test it needs so will ask them. Then will see if that does it.

Thank you again.

DH

Comment

Maryland

Hey DH,
        I am from Columbia Md. Keep us posted on your starter. I often wonder when I will have to get in to mine.
        Charlie

Comment

Slow Start/No Start

Hey Charlie. Well if I could get it open & apart then zippy the chimp could do it in 1/2 the time so I would say if you think you got an hour or so it's easy enough to do. I used the HAYNES manual as guide.\DH

I live in Finksburg, just below Westminster.

Comment

Hi guys,

I have a slow starting GS1100G. The guy who owned the bike before me said it's always been this way. Just replaced a worn clutch with no change in its starting habits.

While the starter might certainly need some attention, Joe Nardy suggested that the old wiring harness might simply be the culprit, and that using a relay to feed power directly from the battery (with a nice new thick wire) would be a good idea. I haven't done it yet, but am planning to in the next week or so.

Sounds like something we might all consider on our older bikes. It's also been suggested that doing the same thing for the headlight can result in a much brighter beam regardless of what you're running...

Regards,
            Steve 8)

Comment

Slow Start/No Start

Yeah I hear you. Already had that in mind when I started peeking. Had done the relay for the headlight & got a big improvement. Figure eventually will have 30-40 relays all over the place & 10 miles or so of 12guage wiring bypassing the whole system. Will need the big bore kit to get enough HP to get the 3 tons of electric gear off the line!

DH

Comment

Re: Slow Start/No Start

Originally posted by suzukizone
                I live in Finksburg, just below Westminster.
                DH,
                I have 5 acres in Marriottsville Md. I go riding out your way quite often. When you get your 850 on the road. Let me know if you want to take a spin.
                Charlie

Comment

Working...
                X