Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Design change GS 1150 to improve Vibrations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design change GS 1150 to improve Vibrations?

I have a GS1150 with vibrations in the handlebars.

So far I have:

Balanced the wheels, changed tire type, replaced steering stem bearings, replaced engine mounts, replaced engine, and replaced wheels, put extra weight in the handle bars.

All of this is of course not because only of the vibrations, it's because of normal maintenance or tuning.

My question is if anybody know if it is possible to change the frame design, by i.e. welding some extra support or similar or if there is any other idea to improve the vibrations in the handlebars.

The worst vibrations occur at 4000 ? 4500 rpm.

Anybody blueprinted the engine?
    Anybody mounted different engine mounts?
    Anybody redesigned the frame?

/Karl

I assume you mean the "Buzzing" in the bars? If it is, there is pretty much nothing you can do. Its coming from the engine and can't really be removed. All three of my 1150's do it.

Comment

Has anyone put an 1100 engine in an 1150 frame? From my experience, the 1100's didn't vibrate near as bad as the 1150's. Would this get rid of that annoying vibration.

Comment

I think just changing to a 1100 crank would do it. That is where the problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxchris
          I think just changing to a 1100 crank would do it. That is where the problem is.
          Please explain further, I live in rural NSW Australia, so I have to know what is wrong in more detail as availability is a BIG problem for any mods.
          If there is any chance I can deal with it locally it would be a huge boon to me and would save me a small fortune in freight.
          I was once told the biggest problem in GSX (GS 16V) motors was the gearbox bearings wear, and that they are a lot of the reason for the vibration, a point I believe to be valid as my 1170 Katana motor is a lot smoother since I replaced them.
          Dink

Comment

The 1150 crank not only had different rods but a different number of teeth on the crank/clutch hub. I have done it to drag engines. For wahtever reason the 1100 crank just balances up better. I suspect if a crank was sent to falicon to be welded and balanced it would make a huge difference. I agree Dink the tranny bearings are junk. On my 3 speeds I did not run roller bearing. I ran cylindrical bearings. I would not recommend them for the street. These bearings had no retainer clip(red locktite) and on a 3 speed the gears were larger than the cases making it necessary to widen the gear box area which allowed for these larger bearings. It was amazing the differnce with those bearings over rollers. The rollers that I did use on 5 speeds were super high quality bearngs with the notch in the inner race where one extra ball has been inserted...a much better bearing. I have to admit my 1150 vibrates badly in that 4K range. I changed the gearing which really helped it. I know you want a hayabusa Dink....they are as smooth as silk. They even have a adjustable crank shaft balancer in case your engine needs to be fine tuned for vibration. In my opinion the best engine out since the 1100/1150. Superior in any way to the gsxr series. I`m waititng to see waht comes out this year...05`s. I may get another busa. I love em.

Comment

Chris
              So what you are saying is that it is a matter of balancing the crank and rods as an assembly to Deal with the "vibes"?
              Dink

Comment

Thanks for your answers,

If I understand you correct, balancing the crank is important.

I am preparing a "new" 1198 engine and it is still not assembled.

I have access to both a balancing machine and a portable balancing instrument; the problem is how to mount the crank in the balancing machine.

My idea is to assemble the engine a measure the unbalance, the unbalance correction could maybe be done on the flywheel, but on the ignition side is not really much to drill or put correction weights on.

An other possibility is to split the cases after each measurement and make the correction on the counter weights i.e. five times?? If the vibration goes away, I am prepaid to do that... :roll:

I couldn't fully understand the tip with the gearbox bearings; do you mean I should change them to an other quality/type?

I love this bike and don't want to change to a newer one, but after two-three ours of driving the vibrations/buzzing really hearts my hand especially the left.

/Karl

Comment

Karl
                  I think that stock replacement is acceptable, But I tend to lean towards the Ceramic Gearbox bearings advertised on Gszone.biz.
                  I am told that any wear in the gearbox bearings allows the gearshafts to "rattle" around and contribute towards vibration.
                  Dink

Comment

Those extra ball bearing are very good and much cheaper at a bearing house than going to suzuki for stock ones. Its easy to spot them the inner race will have a notch in it. That is how they have to make them to load that extra bearing. If you notice stockers don`t have that notch. I`m sure the bearings Dink talks about are probably even better. From what I have been told...this is all passed down info is that suzuki did not alter the crankshaft wieghts on the 1150 when they changed to the different rods and clutch hub drive. It made them vibrate. I am also told even by balancing the 1150 will vibrate more regardless. Falicon used to tell me to send them a 1150 crank they would install katana rods ,1100 clutch gears, knife edge the crankshaft throws,polish them and the vibes would be gone. I did this and to be honest they vibrated but I have to also admit I ran a large engine(1425cc). I don`t think you will ever get a roller crank as smooth as a plain bearing crank. With all that said if I had a engine down I would balance it ...there`s not much to lose.

Comment

Hmm, I think I will do some vibration measurements on my now mounted stock engine and see if there is something more to find out.

Comment

The vibration thing is a surprise to me. I must have just been lucky for whatever reason as my 85 1150 is silk smooth at any rpm. Its a lot smoother than my 8 valve 750.

Earl
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I am also suprised. Several threads have referenced a front end shake or instability due to the 16" front wheel. I have experienced that but no vibration. Changing to a GSXR front end appears to have solved my "shaking" problem.

If any of you have experinced both, please elaborate. This vibration thing has me curious. Planning to build/rebuild my 1150. I dont want to re-create a problem with my new engine.

Comment

Yeah, I have no vibration in my 1150 and I have even replaced the stock leaded handlebars with hollow stainless tubing. It didnt make a bit of difference.

Earl

Originally posted by tyler1150
                            I am also suprised. Several threads have referenced a front end shake or instability due to the 16" front wheel. I have experienced that but no vibration. Changing to a GSXR front end appears to have solved my "shaking" problem.

If any of you have experinced both, please elaborate. This vibration thing has me curious. Planning to build/rebuild my 1150. I dont want to re-create a problem with my new engine.
                            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Mines pretty bad Earl. I suspect slipping the crank out and sending it to falicon would reward me but I`m to sorry. :?

Comment

Working...
                              X