Bang on Startign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bang on Startign

Hello, this refers to my 2000 GS500E. Last year or so (when starting engine from cold only) I ocassionally get a rather loud & disconcerting metallic bang. Sounds scary but bike runs so damn good & has absolutely no other problems at all. Engine is smooth, sweet & for what it is quite powerful with no running glitches.

It could happen 3 starts in a row then once in awhile then not for weeks, No pattern but never when engine is hot or even somewhat warm. It does happen more often on cool mornings. It seems to come from RH side of engine but can't bet on it nor pinpoint if from top end or down below. Again sound is like the sudden sharp imapct of two solid pieces of metal and is coming from engine area. OH yeah, the bike is black.

Thanks,

DH

I'm not saying this is what your problem is, but it sounds similar to what hydraulic lock can do. It's caused by fuel getting into the crankcase. This would either come from a faulty petcock or float valve(s) not sealing or the float valve seat o-rings/gasket.
    Some people say it sounds like a "CLACK" sound and seems to come from the starter clutch/rotor area. For whatever reason, it only seems to happen on a cold motor. The colder it is, the more it happens.
    I really don't know how to explain hydraulic lock. As the motor starts to crank, it locks and (I think) kicks back a little. This possibly causes the starter clutch to create this sound???
    Try checking your oil level to see if it's higher than you expect and smell the oil for a fuel smell.
    Again, I'm not saying this is your problem, but the symptoms sure match.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

My 400 used to do that and I believe it was the fault of the cam chain tensioner. I'm still not sure though.

Steve

Comment

Bang on Starting

Thanks, any ideas what to do? Any idea if damage is impending?

Thanks, Again

DH

Comment

Re: Bang on Starting

Originally posted by suzukizone
          Thanks, any ideas what to do? Any idea if damage is impending?

Thanks, Again

DH
          If it is hydraulic lock, check the oil level and smell it.
          I don't know if the sound means future trouble, but it's not "normal" and could cause a problem.
          A way to tell if your fuel is leaking is to install a new clear fuel line and check to see if the fuel is draining slowly after you let the bike sit for a time. Do the check with a full fuel line to begin with. Overnight is usually a good amount of time.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
          X