Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I make new Carb float bowl Gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I make new Carb float bowl Gaskets?

I need to rebuild my carburetors, so my instinct was to buy four new kits. Then I started to realize with the 4-1 exhaust and pods, that I'm wasting money on parts I can't use since the jets will be stock size. My needle jets, float valves and seats, and air jets are all fine. I just need idle jets, main jets, and gaskets. So I've decided to make my own gaskets and pick the jets up at the bike shop. Problem is, I've never made gaskets before except the blue stuff in a tube and I don't want that for this bike. So....does anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about making these gaskets or where I could get some kits with just the parts I need (and with the right sizes) Sorry for the long post with such a simple question, but I'm long winded.

I just want to add that I did a search and couldn't find anything on this subject.

Comment

Why not pick up new gaskets with the jets? I bought mine at a Suzuki shop last year.

Comment

I didn't think they sold any. They usually only have 1-2 jets of any particular size and have to order them. I'll check and see if they have any gaskets.

Comment

You should be able to order them from your dealer or (cheaper) from one of the online places like ronayers or bikebandit. When I did my carbs I got some of the stuff from ronayers and some additional orings and gaskets from my local dealer. I didn't need the full rebuild kit either so I just bought orings and gaskets.

Debby
          77 GS550B
          1979 GS1000N
          2019 Kaw Z900RS
          plus a few more

Comment

I actually did this when I first got my bike. you can get a fiber gasket board of varying thickness at any checkers, etc. get a really new x-acto blade (or a surgeon's scalpel if you can ) and mark and cut your new gaskets. if you're handy, you may be able to cut them exactly the first time, but I think if you can get the holes correctly placed, you could easily trip the excess off around the edges.

now that I've said that, I can't claim that they won't possibly bleed a little thru, but I blame the back screw not being in tightly enough now that it's had time to settle in, and I can't get to the ones further in behind the bowl to retighten them...

good luck!!

Comment

O.K. I tried to call the dealership but they're closed today (Sunday). Guess it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Comment

Carbs gaskets can be found on Ebay, if you are carefull you can reuse the old ones

Comment

Here ya go:

$3.95 each
                  GS02, near the bottom

They're the same ones that I've used for years on my GS850.

CRC2 Rocks!
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                  X