Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok Where has it gone?

G'day from Oz.
    I read the new posts on this site every night ,lots of good stuff to read .
    Ok I have a GS650 kat,engine comp test ranges from 160 to170, which is good if not a little high!
    It blows no smoke, and leakes no oil.
    So why am I using a litre of oil per 1000 kilometers (600 miles)
    This bike goes really well, It will stay with a GS850 .
    But this has got me scratching my head.
    All tuning is spot on (I have allways done it myself , Ok I'm an old biker)
    Yes I have used different weights and brands of oil,but no reall change.
    Any ideas people.

Paul

Did you do the compression check when the bike had been run within the last hour or two? You should really try a leak down test it will tell you more about the condition of your motor than any compression test ever can.

Comment

Valve stem seals, although the oil consumption seems a bit high for that unless they are really bad. Compression tests will not show this up. Oil control ring/expander may be busted in a piston.

Hi from Canberra

Comment

The comp test was done when the motor was hot,but there is not a gret diff when it's cold, could a leakdown test tell you if it's valve seal's or oil control ring's?
        If not what is the easy way of finding out.
        O and thank's for the reply's guy's

Comment

offtopic: what year is your kat? i have an 82 550 with a 650engine... man these bikes are fun

Comment

82 model still look orig(apart from the 4-1)

Comment

Is there anybody , there.........there..........there.......

Comment

A quick way to check for valve seals is to run the bike in a higher gear at a decent speed, 6,000 to 7,000rpm, then shut the throttle off and coast down to around 3,500 to 4,000rpm. Then open the throttle just a bit while watching the pipes and check for any blue smoke or haze coming from the pipes, if there is that's a good indicator of bad valve seals. It's better to have a buddy following to check the pipes if you're not in a position to do this safely. A leak down test won't test the condition of the valve seals, only the valve seat and compression rings. If it is rings, oil consumption in the amount you have usually won't show as smoke out the pipes except at maybe high rpm. Do a third or fourth gear roll on from around 5,000rpm to redline and if you get some smoke as the rpm's increase it is probably rings. The amount of smoke seen will be minimal at your consumption rates so watch closely. Hope this helps.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Thank's Sandy I'll give that a shot.

Comment

Working...
                  X