Is there an easy way to remove old gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there an easy way to remove old gaskets

Does anyone know of an easy way to remove old gaskets from engine side cases and other engine parts. Now, I remove with a sharp blade from an exato knife or similar. Some remove easily and others which have been on for 25 odd years are like petrified on the case and are a pain to remove. Any chemicals or such to use, let me know.

Permatex makes spray-on gasket remover. Be very careful how long you leave it on aluminum. It will soften the old gaskets up a lot.

Also, get a good, stiff putty knife and sharpen the edge of it on a grinder for scraping.....

Comment

I use white spirit (or turpentine) on the bits that are stuck on and hard to remove. I removed my cam cover gasket yesterday which I think has been on for 27 years! I was left with loads of bits that just wouldn't come off. I dipped a cotton bud in white spirit and carefully wiped it over the gasket bits. Left it for 10 minutes then scraped it away easily with a blade.

Comment

Sharp, sharp razor blades worked for me.

Chad
        Columbus, OH 1978 GS550E

Comment

Be careful with blades of any kind. They are harder than the aluminum and can gouge it if you have a slip. I like to use piece of 1/4" acrylic or plexiglass that has a straight edge on it somewhere. Tough enough to take out gasket material, buit not aluminum. Some solvents may soften the plastic, so watch out.

-Jon
          16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
          13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
          78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
          Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
          02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

I had really good luck stripping the gaskets off my head last year with standard engine degereaser and a dremel tool fitted with SOFT steel wool, running at low rpms. Once the degreaser got into it, the dremel stripped off the gasket material pretty easily without damaging the aluminum.

Comment

Beer.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
                Beer.
                Could be messy if sharp tools are involved! 8O
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                X