noisy engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noisy engine?

my 1100E is noisy, sounds mostly upper end. much worse when cold, i hear abit if everything ticks, ahint of upper end knock, but when its warm this all stops. is the gs engine known to by noisy? im kinda thinking its because the engine is "chuging" with cold oil (lower idle) but im not sure.

could be cam chain, look into tightening cam chain adjuster. one mechanic i talked to said the gs motor should be on the quiet side. I've been that sound might be exaust leak, but i don't think so in your case.

best of luck on it.

Comment

They are inhearantly noisey like all air cooled engines. After you have put some miles on your bike you will hear what is normal, what is not. If your mechanic said the GS should be quiet-- find another mechanic

Comment

I hear all kinds of rattling if I don't keep it choked up above 1000 RPM's when cold. I keep it choked until it'll idle on it's own at about 12-15K. No noises.
        I had a great running '85 Nighthawk that was the same, so I assume this to be normal. I've also thought about the cam chain, but for now I'm not messing with what is working.

Comment

Could be fuel mixture too.
          My bike was running lean in the mid-range until about an hour ago when I raised my needles a notch.

All through the 2500-5000 rpm range the bike was noisy, knocky and just gutless. Raised the needles and I got my zest back, it runs smoother and is back to being quiet as well.

You never know...

Dm of mD

Comment

Be afraid if your 1100E isn't noisy like a freight train on steroids. Because if it isn't, it probably isn't running at all!
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
            X