Bad or not starting GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad or not starting GS850

Anybody know of anything I can pour into my carbs to clean them up of old enleaded petrol to save stripping and cleaning?

Thanks. Jim [Manchester UK]

If they are that bad I'm pretty sure you are going to have to pull, disassemble and clean them really good. You probably have got clogged jets and passages that can't be cleaned using "pour into the gas tank" additives. There was a earlier topic on this subject that dealt with a product that is supposed to clean the carbs without disassembly.

Comment

None of the "Pour into the tank" additives are going to help you if the bike isn't running. Your gonna have to pull em and clean em or pay to have someone do it for you. If you have any ability mechanically then the carb cleaning section on this site is the way to go.

Comment

carb cleaning

Yup, what the others said. Sounds like a tear-down to me. When you get it running, but you are not sure if its quite right, I have used a product called "Ring Free" that Yamaha sells/distributes. Was recommended to me by mechanics and also to another friend of mine. I found a '81 850G a couple years ago sitting in neighbors garage that he wanted to get rid of. The bike had sat for at least 5 years and looked it. I got one cylinder to fire all the time and a second to fire intermittantly. Had old gas all that time, and had gummed up everything. Tore all apart and rebuilt with carb kits and alot of cleaning. Also had access to compressed nitrogen to blow things out/clean. After rebuild, used "Ring Free" product just to be sure-supposed to clear any sticky problems with rings-hence the name. Anyway, everything works great! Good Luck and ride safe!

Comment

Working...
        X