Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contradicory specs in Haynes for fork oil levels??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contradicory specs in Haynes for fork oil levels??

In my Haynes manual on Chapter 4 is specifies that the front fork fluid level for a GS550 is 5.58 US fl oz or 5.81 IMP fl oz. But then, in the back of the book on page 128 is specifies that the front fork fluid level is 7.33 US oz or 7.64 IMP oz.

What measurment should I go with??

Also, in Chapter 4 is says to use 10w-30 oil mixed 50/50 with ATF, and in the back it says to use a 1:1 mixture of 10w-30 and 5w-20 motor oil???
    I have used plane ATF before in front forks, so what should I use now??

Thanks
    Jeff

I'm not sure about your amounts, but I would use 10W fork oil from your local MC shop. Beats mixing stuff up and its only about $5. See if anyone pipes up with access to a factory service manual. Maybe you can get your amounts from them. Good luck.
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

in my clymers manual the back section is for newer bikes (supplement).. I would check if thats the case in yours and go with the front section.

Comment

ok, I'll try for the 10w fork oil at my local mc shop and I'll use the specs given in the front of the manual.
        I see that its gonna take 165cc and 1cc = 1ml (fl), so 165ml. Just getting the metric thing down for us Canadian guys.

Comment

Haynes manuals are *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$e in my experience. I would not regard anything printed between their covers as accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by gammer
            ok, I'll try for the 10w fork oil at my local mc shop and I'll use the specs given in the front of the manual.
            I see that its gonna take 165cc and 1cc = 1ml (fl), so 165ml. Just getting the metric thing down for us Canadian guys.
            Fork oil capacity for 77/78 GS550 is 160ml.

Comment

Originally posted by benbottles
              Haynes manuals are ####e in my experience. I would not regard anything printed between their covers as accurate.
              Really! And I thought gentlemen preferred Haynes!
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
              X