Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a problem with the Idle?

Hi folks,

I just got my 1980 GS750 (possibly an LT, as I'm checking in another thread). It runs fairly well, but it tends to die-- and actually stop running --- when I'm stopped. In fact any time the RPM goes below 1,000 it sputters and threatens to stall.

As a lousy fix I've been easing back slightly on the throttle when at stop signs, and sometimes when heading to a light.

Is this actually a problem with the idle level? And if so, is there an easy way to adjust it?

Thanks,

K

Re: Is this a problem with the Idle?

Originally posted by Barbarian
    Hi folks,

I just got my 1980 GS750 (possibly an LT, as I'm checking in another thread). It runs fairly well, but it tends to die-- and actually stop running --- when I'm stopped. In fact any time the RPM goes below 1,000 it sputters and threatens to stall.

As a lousy fix I've been easing back slightly on the throttle when at stop signs, and sometimes when heading to a light.

Is this actually a problem with the idle level? And if so, is there an easy way to adjust it?

Thanks,

K

Check out the following link under the Carb cleanup series for a picture of the idle adjustment knob. It is located between #2 and #3 carbs facing down and to the rear. Rotating knob clockwise will increase your idle. It is kind of awkward the first time, but becomes easier with practice. What does that sound like? No, don't answer that. :roll:

Comment

It shouldn't tend to stall below 1000 unless its cold (at least thats the way my bike works). You might want to check the carbs.

Comment

A vacuum leak can cause this too. Check the fuel tank petcock hose for cracks as well as the condition of the intake runners. But, in general, you might just try to increase the RPM to about 1100, which is where I ride most of the time. It doesn't seem to fast. Actually, don't know what it's really supposed to be, but it's lower when cold (and I have to have the choke on a little to keep it running), and it's hovering between 1100 and 1200 (hard to read that portion of the scale) steady all other times.

Roger Moore

Comment

Based on my '79 GS750L(N), I belive the idle speed should be around 1100. (1050 to be precise) I'm currently having the same problem on my bike. It won't keep running when cold without the choke, and it takes forever to warm up. It's also getting around 37 MPG. But I believe my problems are due to other factors. (Check out the "Fuel Economy on a GS750" thread, if you are interested) Hopefully you can remedy yours with a simple adjustment or by fixing a vacuum leak. Good luck.

Comment

I will check on those knobs and hoses. I know my bike doesn't have a petcock knob (!) so I'm praying it's fixed in reserve.

I have also been assured that the carbs were rebuilt last month, prior to my purchase. I actually saw the bill from the shop, so I hope that task was done correctly...

Comment

Another thought...Is your clutch totally disengaging when pulled? If it is dragging slightly this can cause your idle to decrease at rest in gear.

Comment

Working...
              X