dead non responsive no lights electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dead non responsive no lights electrical problem

1980 Gs550 I was riding my bike, and it started smoking so i went to stop and pulled over and lost all lights-- everything is nonresponsive. Looked in the fuse box, and All the fuses looked good. I think i might have over heated-- is there an automtic shutoff or something? i smelled something rubbery, and am wondering if i melted some wires, but there wasnt anything obvious. This is a major bummer, because my bike has been out for a month after blowing an igniter. I've been waiting for the last two weeks for a new used igniter, and put it on this morning; after riding about 10 miles this happens. when i blew my igniter the ignition fuse was gone so im not thinking the same thing happened.

Re: dead non responsive no lights electrical problem

Originally posted by natenewz
    1980 Gs550 I was riding my bike, and it started smoking so i went to stop and pulled over and lost all lights-- everything is nonresponsive. Looked in the fuse box, and All the fuses looked good. I think i might have over heated-- is there an automtic shutoff or something? i smelled something rubbery, and am wondering if i melted some wires, but there wasnt anything obvious. This is a major bummer, because my bike has been out for a month after blowing an igniter. I've been waiting for the last two weeks for a new used igniter, and put it on this morning; after riding about 10 miles this happens. when i blew my igniter the ignition fuse was gone so im not thinking the same thing happened.
    Yes, it certainly sounds like you have a short. When it started smoking, could you tell anything about where it could be coming from.

In short: Need more info.

Comment

smoke

sorry about not enough info. The smoke was coming from up front under the gas tank someplace. It wasn't coming from the exhaust.

Comment

Status

Ohkay i found out i blew a coil, so i replaced that with a new stock one which put a nice big hole in my wallet. then i found out that half of my igniter went out also with the coil. so what could have cause them both to go out?
        would a surge in the 12 volt lead to the coils have anything to do with it? If that is probable, what would cause that. I have blown two igniters and a coil. when got the bike i immediately sawthe old battery was dead and replaced it. The first igniter went after i replaced the battery and had rode it for about 2 miles. the second time gave me about 10 - 12miles. the first time i blew the Ignition fuse, the second time i blew the main fuse. I just bought the dyna s, and praying it doesnt turn into a big fuse like my last igniter. I need to figurew out what the problem was/is. a suggestion i heard was that the system was over charging causing it to back up in my regtulater, and maybe put a little surge into the coils, but only one coil went out. i would liek to do a reg. test but i dont see my regulater anywhere on the bike(i wasnt quite sure what to look for but i was looking for a heat sink) Also where is the stator, and is a stator a part of an alternater?
        please try to give me a more complete answeron a theory to what happend, and pretend your speaking to someone who might not understand motorcycle ignitions very well yet.

Comment

The stator is under the left side engine cover. The reg/rect is either mounted on the side or bottom of the battery box. It is +possible for the voltage to go up to 17-18 volts This would definitely kill the ignitor/coil
          What you may do for now is disconnect the reg/rect get the bike running properly. Then go thru the stator pages - check the charging circuit

Comment

Working...
          X