Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS550 Fork Seal Stuck

Hi,

I've finally decided to replace the fork seals on my 79 GS550 since there was oil all over the forks. I've got the forks apart with out any problems.

The only thing I can't do is get the old fork seals out. They seam to be totally jammed and will NOT budge. I've tried penetrating oil, heating up the fork with a blow dryer, and just wedging a screw driver under it and hammering away, all with zero results. Any ideas on how to get them out?

There's a spring clip that holds the seal in place.
    Did you remove it?

Comment

Yeah, check for the clip. I didn't notice it until I had half of it poking out and my arms were totally wasted from pulling on the damn thing. I was lucky the local shop had one in stock.

Comment

Yes I did remove the spring clip, it was in pretty bad shape.

Comment

Try this:heat the top of the slider where the seal is GENTLY and you should be able to pop the seal out.BE VERY CAREFUL as the alloy has a relatively low melting point.A gas camping stove on a low setting should work.

Comment

I had to chisel mine out. Be careful not to damage the surfaces of the forks if you use this method. Hopefully the heat method will work.

Terry

Comment

I ended up getting a seal puller from Sears. About 7 bucks and was able to pry that seal out relatively easily.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by nmuqtad
                I ended up getting a seal puller from Sears. About 7 bucks and was able to pry that seal out relatively easily.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
                Damn! Another tool I gotta' have.

Terry

Comment

How about a dent puller.

Would a dent puller work. I would be careful not to drill the screw into the fork itself. Maybee pree drill then use a screw that has a blunt tip.

Comment

I happen to have a claw-tail hammer that does the job like a charm. I put the one claw under the seal edge, protect the slider from getting scratched/marred by the hammer head with some thick cloth, and it pulls right out, every time.

Of course, it needs to be the right hammer. I have another one, almost identiical, it's "claw" will not grip the seal right. So, it might take some hunting around to get one that fits well.
                    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

i had to chisel mine out on the 78...they were a biatch.

Comment

You guys are nuts!! If you remove the screw from the bottom of the lower fork leg the chrome slider and it's bush become a slide hammer, that will easily remove the seal, and seeing as you are supposed to replace that bush at the same time, makes both jobs easy. BTW whilst the legs are seperate check the condition of the small nylon bush on the damper rod as it vey likely will need replacement as well.
                        Dink

Comment

Sorry,Dink,doesn't work on 550s.Undo the allen bolt on the bottom of the slider and the fork tube pulls straight out.

Comment

Working...
                          X