Has anyone used a bicycle speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone used a bicycle speedo

I'm looking for a speedo for my 81 gs750e with no luck so I'm thinking of using a bicycle speedo, has anyone used one in the past? I've found a Veypor data acquisition system on-line for $349CDN made for motorcycles but if I can use a bicycle one for $30 I'd do that. I'm not working and I'm going to school so the $300 saved would be great.
    Thanks
    Ian

Yes, I used a Sigma I believe, pretty accurate too.

Comment

I'm thinking of using a bicycle speedo, has anyone used one in the past?
      Not personally, but the supermotard guys do it all the time. You may need a longer lead for the sensor on the front fork and a lot of guys switch to rare-earth type super magnets to get a stronger signal, but overall they certainly work OK.

Mark

Comment

Sigma BC400, worked great, less filling.

Comment

Yep,
          Use them on a YSR race bike. Sigma BC 800? Less than $20. For the price I highly recommend them.

Comment

The sigma BC 400 and 800 are the only ones I know of that have a triple digit readout. This may or may not be important to you, however the sigma's are accurate to 176 MPH IIRC. The other brands start being nonlinear around 65-80 MPH. This is quite important.

Comment

$15 Schwinn bike computer (bought at Target) ... does a number of interesting functions and wasn't too hard to calibrate to the bike. I DID have to modify the magnet to make it work with the GS. I cut off the spoke clamp and then used a flexible 5-minute epoxy to securely stick it on the wheel. I also fabricated a custom mount for the pickup that attached to one of the fender bolts. If I get a chance I'll post a picture of the setup, but probably not until tomorrow.

I considered using a rigid epoxy, but decided that the slightly flexible variety might hold up better to the vibration. We'll see how it fairs on the Galena ride coming up next month. By the way, the only thing I had to get used to is the fact that the display lags momentarily with any change in speed ... I attribute this to the fact that bikes don't change speed as dramatically as a motorcycle, so the lag is probably not a big deal on a bicycle.

Regards,
              Steve 8)

Comment

Thanks for all the input I'll be down to the local bike shop on the weekend. It would be great to know what speed I'm doing even if it is a few seconds behind. I'll look for the sigma but it's good to know that other brands work too.
                The more I do on this bike the more there is to do !! I checked the headlight on the weekend to see why the high beam didn't work and found a mess of wires in the handlebar switch so it's time to rewire the whole lot, but I guess that's another post.
                Thanks again I'll let you know how the speedo works when I get it done.
                Ian

Comment

I use a Sigma 1600. Love it. had it installed in a day easy. Due to the fact I lowered my forks in the clamps I didn't need an extension. But it was close.

Also the wireless ones may not work very well as they need a line of sight from the head unit to the sender near the wheel.

Comment

Don't forget to carry a pack of duracell..

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
                      The sigma BC 400 and 800 are the only ones I know of that have a triple digit readout. This may or may not be important to you, however the sigma's are accurate to 176 MPH IIRC. The other brands start being nonlinear around 65-80 MPH. This is quite important.
                      I'll have to get the police to laser me near one hundred so I can test the accuracy of the Schwinn over 65 ... yeah, right!! 8O

Actually, now that I know the analog speedo and the electronic one agree at lower speeds I can see whether they are significantly off at 85 (the highest my "new" stock speedo goes) and if they're still dead-on I'll be satisfied that I'm close to correct up to 99.9mph (the highest the Schwinn goes). Of course I'll only test this on an approved track, as I never ride illegally!

Steve 8)

Comment

Thanks Nosey!

I'm going to stick with the one I have for now (it came off another GS1100G in my garage so the price was right!). Maybe someday I'll go back to a "140," but truth is I doubt I'll spend enough time anywhere near the limit of the electronic one I just installed.

Regards,
                        Steve 8)

Comment

I looked at all the speedo's on E-bay do you think that one would fit my bike? Noooooooo!! I have to have the square faced set, all in one so that is why I'm going custom and taking it down to the bare bones. I can't lose weight so my bike will.
                          Ian

P.S. this is why I missed the fourm when it was gone you all help so much it's nice to know that people want to help just because they can, thanks

Comment

I do think I still have the page I created in html with pics for about my install. If anyone wants it let me know. But all in all the installation of these is pretty easy.

I dumped my gauges too, I love the bare bones look.

Comment

Working...
                            X