No announcement yet.

Has anyone used a bicycle speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally did it and got the speedo put on the bike!!! The only hard party was making a bracket to hold the magnet to the wheel other than that all was smoooooth sailing. The bike picks-up speed faster than the speedo can handle but at steady speed I love the little thing $34cdn plus tax what a deal. Over the winter I'm going to redo bracket holding the tack and signal lights I'll send pic's when all is done.
    Again thanks for all the help.
    Ian

Comment

I just bought the BC1200 for myself..... 8)

Comment

Not sure where you mounted the magnet to the wheel, but you may have better results moving it as far to the outside of the wheel as possible to cure the bike speeding up faster the the computer. Just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
          Not sure where you mounted the magnet to the wheel, but you may have better results moving it as far to the outside of the wheel as possible to cure the bike speeding up faster the the computer. Just a guess.
          I take it you are referring to the lag time in the display? The SIGMA BC computer only updates its display about three times per second. It's a little choppy when using it on a powerful bike. But I recently used the BC1200's stopwatch feature to use a highway speed check point. Dead on at 60. Given that it's mathmatically based, I'd bet it's acurate until the magnet goes by so fast the sensor doesn't switch anymore.

One time it did show me going 148 in a parking lot though...

Comment

Originally posted by ian
            I finally did it and got the speedo put on the bike!!! The only hard party was making a bracket to hold the magnet to the wheel other than that all was smoooooth sailing.
            I just epoxied it on.

Comment

I can't find anybody that sells the Sigma computers. None of the dealers I've talked to likes them because of the way they mount. Around here everybody has the Cat-Eye brand.

Steve

Comment

UPDATE:

My Schwinn computer works great and appears to be dead on accurate! Only a few minor issues to contend with after using it in over 500 miles of riding to date.

First, it also lags behind on the updates when accelerating ... no surprise there.

Second, I'm going to have remount the magnet closer to the center of the wheel, because on the rim it spins past the sensor too fast and stops registering properly above 74.1mph. Moving it closer to center ought to solve that problem, although I'll have to lengthen the sensor wire and build another custom mount for it. The flexible epoxy I used to hold the magnet to the aluminum rim seems to be holding just fine so I'll use it again when I remount it, probably on the brake disc.

Originally posted by lhanscom
                Actually, Luke, based on my experience with a rim mounted magnet I don't think this will improve the lag at all ... it will just lower the maximum speed the pickup is able to register. I'll let you all know if moving the unit closer to the hub changes the lag at all ... my prediction is that is will remain the same.

Best price was $10 or $12 bucks at Walmart.

Enjoy,
                Steve 8)[/quote]

Comment

I could not get the Sigma either so the Cateye it is for me. It works fine I have seen a reading in the high 120 km/h so I know that I'll be good on the HWY. I haven't used epoxy on the magnet yet, on the rims I have there is a small oval like hole just inside of the disk brakes and a small braket bent just so with one twist tie on the inside works fine untill I get more time to make it better but that's what the winter up here is for...
                  Got to go I have the day off and the speedo needs another test.
                  Ian

Comment

One time it did show me going 148 in a parking lot though...
                    Since I use a Sigma too I should do more parking lot riding, what a RUSH!

Comment

Yeah I used to get some crazy speeds on my bicycle with the computers. The trick is to reverse direction just after you pass the magnet by the sensor. It thinks it just made a complete revolution and clocks your speed over 100mph. Good for setting the max speed.

Comment

Working...
                      X