Do coils "fade away" ? (coil testing/interchange q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do coils "fade away" ? (coil testing/interchange q

I?ve got a 1979 GS1000L (Mikuni VM 26 carbs) but with electronic ignition, wiring harness, gauges, etc. that came off of a 1981 GS 850. I don?t remember if the coils on my bike are the original 1979 coils, or were replaced with coils from the 1981 donor bike. My bike also has K&N pod filters and MAC 4 into 1 exhaust.

Over this past winter, all the valve guide seals and piston rings were replaced, the valve head was planed, valves lapped, and valve clearances set to factory spec.

Within the past month or so, the carbs have been thoroughly and expertly cleaned, rebuilt, and re-jetted with Dyno Jet Stage 3 kit, including all new gaskets, float valves, O-rings, etc. by a trusted expert who is a member of the GSR.

When I installed the rebuilt carbs a few weeks ago, I also installed new rubber intake manifolds, new intake manifold O-rings, and new large-canister in-line fuel filter, and carefully drained and flushed the fuel tank multiple times. This past weekend, I carefully synchronized the carbs with a 4-tube mercury manometer set, and carefully set the air screws (on top of the VM carbs) for highest idle. I installed new spark plugs and carefully set gap to factory spec.

I?m currently in the process of ?fine-tuning? the fuel pilot screws (on the bottom of the VM carbs) to try and get all 4 spark plugs to achieve a light-gray to light-tan color. In this process, I have noticed that I don?t get a ?big fat blue spark? that people have talked about on this forum. I understand from reading some posts that the big blue spark should be clearly noticeable in broad daylight (with plugs pulled from cylinder and grounded to outside engine casing). The sparks on my bike are not noticeable in broad daylight, unless I get my eyes within about 6-inches of each plug.

However, when I work on the bike in my garage at night and pull the plugs and install the plug caps and ground the plugs to the engine casing, I clearly see a blue spark from each plug, not a yellow spark (if I shut the garage light off, and the only light in the room is from the bike headlight). All four sparks seem about the same intensity and seem to fire consistently. But the blue sparks look weak and are not ?big fat blue sparks?.

So, this brings me to the questions:

Do coils ?fade away? and slowly ?get weak? over time, or do they either work or not work altogether?

I?ve got a set of coils left over from a 1983 GS 750ES parts bike (coils not tested, but came off a running bike). Are they interchangeable with my coils?

I?ve used the Search feature on the GSR forum to research coil questions, and I?ve read about testing coils with a multi-meter, but I?m an absolute idiot with electricity. Could somebody carefully post some step-by-step instruction on coil testing that even an idiot like me could understand?

The bike runs really nice, should I just stop worrying and ride?!

yeah, a could can fade in time by it's resistances changing over time. if you're not getting a blue spark, and you're getting ~10-12 volts at the coils low side, then you're probably due for new coils.

from what i've experienced, coils over 20 years old just dont cut it. i had a intermittent heat problem with a coil on my first 550, and the current had ignition problems too. i have converted it to Dyna green coils and haven't looked back. they rock.

~Adam

Comment

You need to verify what coils you have the 79 would have 5 ohm coils
      the 81 elect ign should have 3 ohm coils Could make a difference with the weak spark

Comment

You need to verify what coils you have the 79 would have 5 ohm coils
        the 81 elect ign should have 3 ohm coils Could make a difference with the weak spark

Comment

Borderline or mismatched coils can cause a lot of headaches! Take the time to get the ignition right or fine tuning the carbs will be almost impossible.

Terry

Comment

Working...
          X