Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stuck screw head broken off HELP!!

Hello all

This has happened to us all at one time or another, but I am having a devil of a time here.

The screw that is used to check the oil level on the secondary gear fluid had it's head break off. The portion of the threads left in the screw hole were in about 1/4 or an inch. (this is on an 80 GS 850 GL)

So I tried using the broken screw to back it out. no go. I then decided to use a screw extractor. As I was drilling the pilot hole I could see the screw turning in further, so I stopped. I tried using the screw extractor and eventually the tip broke off in the screw.

I have tried drilling, but the tip of the drill keeps being moved to the side since the hardened steel screw extractor is in the center. The inside threads are now damaged and the side of the screw hole is collapsing (it looks like it was not centered in the metal to begin with)

So I am looking for any suggestions. I know I will probably need to retap teh hole and go to a larger screw. I just need to get the screw out without dropping it into the secondary gear box. Thanks to all who reply

I was drilling the pilot hole I could see the screw turning in further, so I stopped.
    This is good news. If it will turn when drilling in, then you need to try a left hand twist drill bit and drill it in reverse. That should back the screw shank straight out.

Mark

Comment

Listen to Mark M. This is about the best way to remove those nasty things. You can usually find the bits at local hardware stores. IF this does'nt work, and if there is any of the screw above the surface left (which it does'nt sound like in your case) you can notch it and tap it out with a hammer and screw driver, just be careful not to jack up the surface too much. Good luck!

Comment

drilled it out

The screw became jammed in the threads and would not move with a screw extractor or drill. I had to drill out the entire screw and retap the hole with larger thread. Went from 6 mm to 7mm. I had already damaged the side of the hole. I am going to try to repair that with metal apoxy or marinetech. I have heard both will work in high temp, chemical and wet places with about 1000 lbs of constant pressure.

I'll let you know how the patch works.

Right now a very small amount of oil leaks every time I run it. I get about 3 or 4 drops on the driveway after a ride.

Comment

Working...
        X