Help with a dead/dying bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a dead/dying bike

I have an 83 GS550L which is on its way out. She died a few months ago out on the road, and I've been trying to get her going. I need to replace the RR, and I know that I should get the electrex unit, but I don't have the money. SO, what years/models can I get an RR from that will work on my bike? And if anyone knows a good place to get one from that would be a great tid bit as well.

I also need to replace the fork seals. Is this a job I can do myself or am I going to get in over my head.

Thx
    flava'

From what I've gathered a 5 wire regulator will work. Just about any 5 wire regulator. 6 wire regulators require some additional work. In my instance I took a CX500 rectifier and wired it up normally, but then had to hook up the voltage sence wire to a switched 12volt supply. I did that by hooking it up to the wire leading to the turn signal relay. Other people have used CB rectifiers with good result. I tried using one from a KZ440 but I burnt it out in short order.

As far as I know any other GS rectifier will work.. but will bring you headaches.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I have 2 GS rectifiers and both have always worked flawlessly. Actually, I know a lot of guys with them who have never had even a glitch. If you really want a headache, start putting non Suzuki electronics on your GS. My opinion is that you should stay away from Honda electrics especially when there are just as many good Suzuki units available used or new. Some people have had some success, many have definitely not.

You can easily change your seals, do you have a manual? If not, get the Clymer or Haynes or the shop manual for your bike. It explains it step by step with pictures. Good luck.

The Motor Bookstore sells DIY repair manuals for cars, trucks, motorcycles, tractors & more. Shop our selection of OEM, ATSG, Haynes, & Clymer manuals today!

Comment

I put a Honda Reg/Rect on my 850 two years ago NO problems at all

Comment

I've had a Honda one on my 750 for at least 10 years. No problems. As for finding "lots of good used ones," that doesn't apply around here. There are NO good used ones around here, they are all fried! There were lots of Honda ones, because they outlive the bikes. They are becomming in short supply because all the GS owners are snapping them up!
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I understand they were using them on some of the English bikes also.

Comment

Most Wreckers/Breakers/Junkyards also have available to them aftermarket parts, I purchased a brand new Matsu*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$a rec/reg for my Tractor from one, it was cheap too, about 1/3 Suzuki's price.
              Dink

Comment

Check this thread.It gives you everything you need to know.

Comment

Working...
                X