Brake caliper rebuilds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake caliper rebuilds

Got a '81 suzuki gs450s (22,000miles) with a brake caliper issue. The piston fails to retract back into the caliper housing so it keeps rubbing the disc. I've cleaned out the caliper and piston assemblies (which were dirty) and bled the front brake and master cylinder with the same issue again. I noticed that the piston seal is not uniform making it difficult to push the piston back into the caliper housing. I've order a brake caliper rebuild kit but I would like to know if I will need any special tools to rebuild it and will i need any type of grease for the float seals ? (not sure if that's the correct term for them-the two small bushings above the brake caliper).

Re: Brake caliper rebuilds

Originally posted by johnbot
    Got a '81 suzuki gs450s (22,000miles) with a brake caliper issue. The piston fails to retract back into the caliper housing so it keeps rubbing the disc. I've cleaned out the caliper and piston assemblies (which were dirty) and bled the front brake and master cylinder with the same issue again. I noticed that the piston seal is not uniform making it difficult to push the piston back into the caliper housing. I've order a brake caliper rebuild kit but I would like to know if I will need any special tools to rebuild it and will i need any type of grease for the float seals ? (not sure if that's the correct term for them-the two small bushings above the brake caliper).
    No special tools. I suggest you pull the calipers off and use the hydraulic pressure from the master cylinder to push the caliper pistons out. Otherwise carefully use compressed air to move them out.

Completely drain and refill the system with fresh fluid from a new can of brake fluid.

Hap

Comment

Rebuilding brake calipers is a breeze man. I put a c-clamp on the caliper, and use compressed air to force the piston out as you slowly unscrew the c-clamp. then clean and hone the caliper, check the piston for pitting, unless you use a new one. Then replace the caliper piston seal, and lube it with brake fluid. Then slide the new piston boot all the way down on the piston, so that it hangs of enought to put the bottom lip into the caliper, the top of the boot will seat when you compress the piston. Usually you can press the piston in by hand, if not, get the c-clamp back out, but stop if you think you are using too much pressure so as not to break anything. The piston should press in very easily. After that is done, repeate for the other side, install and bleed. Have fun. :twisted:

Comment

Check the master cylinder.

Make sure the master cyclinder is clean while you are at it. It may have been the problem from the start. If that little tiny return hole is clogged the line will stay full of fluid, and not let the caliper loose.

Open the bleader. If the caliper lets go and fluid squirts out you have a clogged up master cylinder.

Clean it out before you N-DO while going down a hill. My wifes step father pulled that one on his XS-11. Should have took my advice.

Open the bleeder first. Or wear some eye protection.

Comment

Look here

Here's an old post on this topic. I think the referred link is still active.

SV

Comment

Originally posted by slowfoxbird
            then clean and hone the caliper,
            Several guys on here say to NEVER hone the caliper. They said to use a scotch-brite pad and some break clean to clean out the caliper.

Comment

Brake Caliper

Hey thanks everyone for all the replies! I believe the issue may be crud under the piston seal as the link sv650 sent suggested. Part of the piston seal was bulging out. I've already cleaned the whole damn thing except for under the seal so I guess it's time to pull it back off the bike.
              I think ill hold off on the honing thing and just clean it well (which is mostly spotless at this point). How do you hone a piston anyhow?

Comment

Dont hone the caliper!!! use brake fluid as an assembly lube within the caliper! And use a high melting point grease on the slide pins at the caliper mount! I suggest also kitting the master cylinder whilst you are at it , then you will know that the whole system is new and reliable.
                Dink

Comment

ok, i didn't hone the caliper but noticed something missing

I rebuilt the front caliper and it seems ok but i lost the 'pad inspection window' which decided to jump into some bushes as i was reinserting it. Is this needed to hold the brake pad spring or does the pressure hold it in place? I've also noticed the the 'brake shim' is missing (the piston is pressing directly onto the pad) is this ok for now?

Comment

Working...
                  X