half an igniter gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

half an igniter gone?

bike quit running in motion. blew the main fuse. and started smoking. found out left coil was smoking. I got a new left coil. no spark to the left coils cylinders though after replacement, however there is a spark from the right coil. Switched the coils around and they were both checked and good. is it possible that half of the igniter broke. I just replaced it, after it blew once before. before it didnt take a coil with it, and it blew the ignition fuse instead of the main fuse. Why am i going through igniter units. I put a new battery in it, and it should have been fully charged. could it be the signal generator is at fault, and if so what does it look like / where is it located. also where would i find a replacement. Im only trying to get this bike running so i can sell it. thanks for the help, Nate BTW its a GS550 early model electronic ignition.

It could be the ignitor is bad again. The signal gen is under the right side crank end cover

Comment

?

so what could be cause the igniter to go out?

Comment

Have you ever checked the charging rate?? If the reg quits and the voltage gets to 17-18 volts maybe??????? Other wise there are only three posibilities coils, igniter, signal gen. My guess would be the coil shorted and killed the igniter

Comment

Upgrading

Say i wanted to keep this bike. Will the dyna s solve my problems with the bike ignition system? or do i need to buy electrex r/r and stator stuff too. Im worried that i if spend some money im going to blow it up in a matter of 10 miles like my last igniter. Looking at the dyna s on their website it looks like its for a bike with points, and mine doesnt have points. Im not really sure which one to look at. the one i looked at was for my year and cc's but appeared in the install guide to be for a bike with points.

Comment

The Dyna "S" will allow you to get rid of the ignitor box and their timing plate/sensors will replace your signal generator. You have to be sure to use the correct ohm coils with the new Dyna "S" ignition.
            As Lynn said, you have to get your manual and test your R/R, etc, before installing new parts.
            Looking at an '80 GS1000E manual, there are two circuits going through the ignitor, one to each coil. So yes, just one coil can go.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Stock coils

Are the stock coils 3 ohm resistance. I just bought a new one before i found out tha tmore then the 1 coil was bad i bought a direct stock replacement and it cost some money. now i realize there are generic coils but i didnt know that then. if stock coils came in different resistances is there a way to test, and if my coils arent 3, how much would a set of 3's cost?

Comment

I don't know if your stock coils are 3 ohm. Look it up in a manual or check with a dealer or ask other 550 owners here.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                X