Nothing seems to help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing seems to help

I bought a 79 GS70E with 37,000 miles. It ran Ok for about a month but then it started to be hard to start and the engine just seemed noisier than normal, especially when cold. It would pop out the exhaust and carbs when cold.
    I set the timing and it was only slightly better. I replaced the plugs and they were VERY black. Then I tore down the carbs and cleaned them. They all looked good. Floats are Ok, float needles are fine and I saw no problems but it runs rich no matter what I do.
    If I give it the gas really fast, it dies immediately. I can "feather" the throttle and it gains revs.
    I didnt change any settings in the carbs so why would it go rich all of a sudden? All the plugs are dark....No amount of turning the mixture screws seems to help.
    Oh, the idle is extremely rough and doesnt like to run at less than 1500 rpm.

Where are the pilot screws (underneath) set at now? If the bike is stock and still has the air box lid, the pilot screws are generally one turn out. The side air screws are to be set for the highest rpm possible and then re-set to 1,100 rpm with the idle adjuster knob. Adjust the side air screws on a warmed up motor. I assume the air filter is clean?
    Let us know if this helps and we'll go from there.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks for the reply!. I'm new here and new to the GS. I currently have 3 other bikes so I thought I knew my way around a motorcycle engine.
      Guess I dont!
      The bike is stock and the air filter is clean. I will work on it this evening and let you know.

Comment

Check valve clearences, and clean the carbs.
        Most of the more seasoned campaigners around here clean there clean the carbs at the slightest provocation A blown bulb is usually enough, there are a lot of very small orifices in these carbs, and it doesnt take much to clog one up.
        Pay special attention to carb balancing also as GS's in general are very sensitive in this area.
        Dink

Comment

79 I'm guessing you still have a points ign. I would check the point gap, check the coil voltage and consider replacing the coils. Did you clean the air filter? What did you oil it with?

Comment

I think I'm getting it narrowed down a little bit. It has points and I double checked them again tonight. They are right on specs.
            I got it to run smoother but still not good. I think #1 and #4 arent firing right or has a very weak spark. I occasionally get a backfire out of #4 carb.
            I messed with the wires coming from the points and maybe, if I'm really lucky, the problem is in those wires and not the coil. Mabe even the condensor.
            Its time to quit for the evening before my neighbors come over with a baseball bat and ask me to turn it off!!!
            I'm sure it needs a valve adjustment too and that will be next.

Comment

Working...
            X