Crank Shaft Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank Shaft Seal

Is there a easy way to take that seal out and put a new one in with out spliting the motor cases apart. I am talking about the seal behind the crank trigger thing and this is on a 82 750. Thanks for any help

Your best hope would be to remove the cases studs on that side to relieve the tension on that area, then drill a couple of small holes in the seal, insert a couple of screws and use a puller. I am not certain this would work but it is my best suggestion, without splitting the cases.
    Dink

Comment

The above should work !

Comment

Thanks Guys

Comment

I had the exact same problem once with my 1100. What I did was drain the oil, pry out the oil seal with a screwdriver (be carefull not to scratch the bore where the seal comes out), the take a round bastard file and camfer the edge of the bore. Then, using a huge socket or pipe that is the same diameter as the seal, carefully press the seal into the case. The camfering is important or the sharp edge of the case will peel the rubber off the outer diameter of the seal.

Hap

Comment

I have replaced the right hand crank seal (behind the ignition) on my 77 550 and my 83 850. It is fairly easy. Remove all your ignition stuff so that you have access to the seal. Take a drill and slowly drill a small hole in the seal. Do it carefully to when it goes through, you do not hit anything behind the seal. Take a machine screw and screw it into the hole. Take a pair of vice grips, lock on the screw, and pull the seal out. It may be tough, but it will come out. At this point, you could camfer the edges of the seat as Hap, suggest, but I never have. Now rub fresh oil around the outside of the seal. I also oil the inside where the crank comes through. Now you will need something to hammer the seal into place. I found an 2 1/8 inch exaust coupler to work best. It just fits inside the back of the seal. Place it in the back of the seal and start the seal against the seat of the case. I usually place a wooden block on the backside of the couple so that one blow with a hammer will be evenly distributed. After hammering the seal in, you may see thin sheets of rubber that sheared off the seal while driving it in. This is normal. I have never had any problems with mine leaking, after I replaced them.

Comment

Working...
            X