Side Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Covers

Anybody know how to keep the t i t s from breaking off of the sidecovers on the 82/83 1100s? The 1100 I just bought has them all intact, and I'm terrified I'm going to start snapping them off. 8O Ideas? 8-[
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

I managed to keep 2 out of three of them intact on each cover for 22 years and then last week another one broke on the right cover. All I tried to do was keep the rubber grommets well lubed and soft and then use very even steady pressure when pulling them off. Luckily my Corbin seat fits down over the top edge and holds it in place.

Comment

Keep them lubed and change the grommets every 10 years

Comment

What do you use to lube them with?
        Kevin

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,

Comment

Rubber grease or silicon spray.
          Dink

Comment

Mine came pre broken on both sides. The left was glued in place and the right had a bolt through the cover to the hole. I like the idea so I got a low profile screw and did it on the left. I figure it holds a lot better this way than the lousy plastic nipple thing anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMtnRoadRash
              Mine came pre broken on both sides. The left was glued in place and the right had a bolt through the cover to the hole. I like the idea so I got a low profile screw and did it on the left. I figure it holds a lot better this way than the lousy plastic nipple thing anyhow.
              The '83 I have has only one t i t left on each of the side covers. The previous owner had used velcro at the other points. I'm assuming that worked.
              Kevin

Comment

I know of one guy who used a bungee cord between the two covers to hold them on. He has to take the seat off to get the covers off, but that's not such a big deal.

Comment

Re: Side Covers

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                  Anybody know how to keep the t i t s from breaking off of the sidecovers on the 82/83 1100s? The 1100 I just bought has them all intact, and I'm terrified I'm going to start snapping them off. 8O Ideas? 8-[
                  Don't let anyone knock your wife's bike over on to yours..... Ask me how I know.

Does epoxy hold well enough to glue the tab back on? I still have the tab.

Comment

Don't take the side covers off when it's cold out, or if you're mad.

Steve

Comment

Sometimes you can push the posts out if you can get your finger on it from the inside.

Comment

you can work wonders with epoxy, waxpaper and sand paper on the side covers.

any broken part can be molded with waxpaper or wood form the waxed. then poor in epoxy let it set up then sand to final shape.

keeping all the rubber parts that hold on the cover in good shape helps in keeping repairs down.

Comment

Originally posted by gremlin
                          keeping all the rubber parts that hold on the cover in good shape helps in keeping repairs down.
                          Thanks all! I have ordered new rubbers at something silly like $3.00CDN EACH!!!! :? Well it beats new side covers at $80.00CDN each, unpainted, with no stickers! 8O
                          Kevin

Comment

Chop yer bike and make stainless ones like I did!
                            (only joking)

Comment

Working...
                            X