cam chain nosie & the adjuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam chain nosie & the adjuster

Hello all & glad to have you all back! My problem is on my 1980 gs1000g when i push the bike at low rpm's i get a bad loose chain like sound...prett loud. I took the adjuster off & replaced the rod & spring . whats wierd to me is that when the motor is cold the nosie is barely there , but once warmed up i have to keep the rpms up or i get the noise . i took the tensioner off again to clean & inspect it & it sticks pretty bad BUT its sticking with the rod fully extended.Woudnt that be kinda like having a manual adjuster?(because its not backing off)I want to replace the adjuster instead of messen with it more, just want to pretty sure that its the problem !By the way i also did a valve shim adjustment & the bike has a smoother feel to it 8) 8) . God i love this BIKE !
    thanks for all the advice in advance

If the tensioner is reaching fully extended in the motor then your camchain needs replacing urgently!!
    Dink

Comment

Sounds like the cam chain is worn. The workshop manuals have the specs for measuring whether the cam chain is within specs. better do this before it jumps a sprocket and does a lot of damage....

Comment

cam chain

sorry , i should have also said that i counted the number of links between the sprockets & it was ok.....ill have to check again

Comment

Having the correct number of links , has nothing to do with whether the camchain is too stretched to continue in service, I do not know the if the spec is the same as an 1150 but as I recall an 1150 if the distance between twenty pins exceeds 159mm it is time to replace it.
          Dink

Comment

Working...
          X