Stator woes - again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator woes - again...

I'm working on reviving a 1980 GS1000G and most of the work is done. During a test ride, the bike almost literally started to fade away.

Long story short, the battery was shot. At least one cell was only half filled and the rest weren't much better. :roll: Hoping the problem was just a dead battery, I replaced it with a new one fully charged.

The first thing I did was to check the voltage at the battery with the motor whining away at 5K. 12.3VDC is a little below spec. Fearing the worst, I went back to the stator and got under 1VAC.

A call to Electrix yielded... no stators in stock. 8O A stator was located at BikeBandit.com and it, along with a regulator, are supposed to be FedEx-ing their way to me.

The question is: aside from draining the engine oil, popping the case screws, replacing the stator, buttoning up the engine, and reconnecting it then moving on to R&R the regulator, is there anything tricky or glossed over in Clymer's manual that I need to be aware of? I plan to run a heavy ground wire between the regulator and battery minus terminal "just in case".

Sounds like you have it pretty much nailed there.
    Dink

Comment

There've been a number of "oops" moments with this project. Things like the missing hardware for the Vetter fairing, the discovery that GS1000 and GS1000G saddle bag brackets aren't the same, and other joyous moments. :roll: So I'm trying to avoid any surprises on this item.

Oh, to add to the fun, the bike's new owner is arriving in a week to pick the bike up - flying in from Florida on a non-refundable ticket. And did I mention Hurricane Frances might just show up at the same time? 8O 8O 8O

But, hey, no pressure...

Comment

It's been a while but... the final outcome on the charging system was to order the stuff from BikeBandit at prices lower than buying from Electrex.

The wiring harness on the bike was not in the best of shape; clearly somebody tried to work on the charging system and failed. But a little effort and attention to detail fixed that problem.

Once the stator and regulator were replaced, the charging problems went away. The job wasn't a hard one but it's not for people who don't have some skill in working on bikes. Issues like routing the cable and so on make this a moderately challenging job.

Comment

Working...
        X