Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marking its territory (with 92 octane)

Howdy all,

Bikes flowing a LOT of gas out of the bottom hose of carb #1 (left most side if sitting on bike / shifter side). I was riding and stopped at a stop sign and noticed a large puddle emerging from under my bike, im not sure if the problem is only at idle or hig revs but it flows a steady stream of gas and i got my wounded bike home quickly to assess the damage(s). I just started the bike and the problem was not evident right off the bat as the bike warmed up on the choke (1700 rpm +/- 200) but when i let it idle the gas poured out again, and does not go away if I hold the bike at higher revs. I lightly tapped the float area of the carb but no changes. Is the problem in the float and that it sticks open....or...??

Mark

1977 gs750
    31, XXX km
    slightly modified 8valve engine (Custom oil filler cap!!)
    old kerker exhaust

Sounds like a float to me.

Comment

Seems like two possibilities there. The float is sticking or the float level is set WAAY to high.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

If this is a float problem, wouldn't it happen when the engine is off, too (and manual petcock "on")? Does this have the horrible vacuum operated petcock? I wish I knew something about anything!

Comment

Could be dirt stuck in the needle valve also. if you have 2 hoses coming from the petcock it's vacuum operated, one fuel and 1 vacuum.

Comment

Before you take it all apart you might try to drain and refill the fuel bowl a couple of times to wash the dirt out. Just put fuel valve on prime when you want to fill the carb.

Comment

The float needle/seat assy has an o-ring that seals the seat to the body of the carb. This puppy might be leaking, which would bypass the float and needle valve altogether.

Also, if this is a "hose" coming off the #1 carb as you say, it might be being caused from #2 carb instead, since this overflow hose is common between 1 and 2.

Sound like carb work time to me...

Roger

Comment

Yeah it does have the vacuum operated fuel petcock, and its flowing out the hose on the BOTTOM of the #! carb. Thanks for the help gonna get the tools out tonight and drain it and get cleaning...

Comment

Check the vent hoses. If they're crimped the gas will keep runnin', and runnin'..

Comment

Worked like a charm, took the float bowl off while carbs still on the bike and the float was indeed stuck open. A little carefull cleaning and presto!! good riding once again. cleaned em all while i was at it. Will last for a bit im sure now. Thanks to all who replied

Mark

1977 gs750
                    31, XXX km
                    slightly modified 8valve engine (Custom oil filler cap!!)
                    old kerker exhaust

Comment

Working...
                    X