82 GS1100E Missing At High Revs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100E Missing At High Revs

Finally, I found an 82 GS1100E and got it into my garage. Whooo Hooo!

It runs very well, starts good and seems to have few mechanical issues of any sort. Kerker 4-1 canister system, K&N filter in the airbox, rear half of airbox is removed. Supposedly jetted to the pipe/filter setup and our altitude by the dealer the PO bought the bike from last year. Dyno'd at 100rwhp in its currect configuration.

So I took it out last night for a shakedown run after getting it home. It feels a touch lean on the needles (just a hint of surging at steady cruising), pops and bangs a lot on trailing throttle (idle circuit needs maybe 1/4 turn on the screws to solve this, I think). I ran it up through the gears a few times and tried some roll ons in top gear. It revs well through the lower gears, pulling hard to redline. But during the 5th gear roll ons, it would pull OK until about 5500-6000rpm, then start misfiring and would not pull through. Rolling off the throttle slightly, then back on did not solve it, so I do not think it is a lean condition or fuel starvation issue. I figure the coils are on the way out. Opinions?

Thanks,
    Mark

Half the air box is cut off? Even though its got a K&N I suspect that may be a contributiong factor. Take the carbs apart, see how its been jetted. Agressive jetting (stage 3?) needs pods to perform correctly in conjunction with the 4 into 1.

Comment

Had a similar problem with my 82 1166 while I was trying to jet my 33 smoothbores. It would start missing at 7k-9k. It ran fine down below that. I thought it was a carb problem. It turned out to be a broken wire on one of the dyna coils. Tony

Comment

Interesting. I yanked the back airbox off too and installed a universal K & N on the 2.5" flange. I had to restrict the filter cause I did no jetting. Stock pipes. She pops alittle in 5th at about 6k -7k by then the suspension gives up and I have to shut down.

Comment

Working...
        X