Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Position Indicator Doesn't (82 GS1100E)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Position Indicator Doesn't (82 GS1100E)

The digital gear position indicator on the dash doesn't work at all. It shows a continuous "0" no matter what gear I am in. The back light works and the display seems functional (the LCD display does show the 0 with no problems...)

Any quick checks I can do before my Haynes manual gets here in a week or so?

Thanks,
    Mark

I let my 82 fall over once and the chrome headlight ring took a shot. It pushed the lower part of the headlight in far enough to cut 3 wires of a 5 wire harness. So 1,2, & 3 showed "0". 4, & 5 were OK. I soldered the cut wires back togather and it works fine.

Comment

Mine has always indicated zero in third, but has recently started flickering the actual digit 3. I figured it would be something electronic - never crossed my mind that there'd just be a wire for each gear and one loose one. I'm going to check that out - thanks.

Nick

Comment

I let my 82 fall over once and the chrome headlight ring took a shot. It pushed the lower part of the headlight in far enough to cut 3 wires of a 5 wire harness. So 1,2, & 3 showed "0". 4, & 5 were OK. I soldered the cut wires back togather and it works fine.
        It has tipped over at least once, from some scuff marks I have found (no serious rash, though; amazing for a 22 year old bike). I am going to pull the back off the dash to pull the battery light out, so I will take a look for broken wires as well.

Thanks,
        Mark

Comment

I'm guessing if it shoes "0" all the time you have a bad gear position indicator switch. Mine (78 gs550E) is right next to the front sprocket. The only method I have found to check the switch (or the only manual that even mentions anything about the switch) is my Suzuki shop manual (not the owner's manual, the actual shop manual). It states that if the display shows something like an "8" or a "0" all the time, the switch is most likely bad. It does give a procedure for testing the switch, but it's probably not worth doing as it will involve the same effort to just replace the switch completely.

Just look on e-bay, and you will no doubt find one for 4 or 5 bucks. Even new can't cost more than 20 bucks or so. Replace it, and everything should be fine.

Chad
          Columbus, OH 1978 GS550E

Comment

Mine had some of the wires broken AT the aforementioned switch, in front of front sprocket, resoldering them fixed the display

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
              Mine had some of the wires broken AT the aforementioned switch, in front of front sprocket, resoldering them fixed the display
              Ditto, chain took them out on my 750 , soldered and fixed.

Comment

Working...
              X