Stripped shock mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped shock mount

If my bike was in the parking lot right now, I wouldn't be asking this question. And if the shop manual wasn't with the bike and the mechanic that is fixing it, well, ditto. Anyway, I remember about 4 years ago when I removed the sissy bar ('cause I didn't like the looks) that upon reinstalling the shock mounting nuts, I slightly stripped one of the studs. It really wasn't that bad, I still got a good grip with the nut, and the shock was secure. Now it seems the little woman won't come along without the sissy bar. I've actually recently bought a nice rack off e-bay, and it should look great. However, I will be taking it on and off every so often. Does anyone know if those shock mount studs are replaceable or welded directly to the frame? Has anyone else had the same problem? How did you fix it?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Yes they are welded to the frame so you have two choices. One, you could cut it off and weld a new bolt of the same size on or two, re-tap it to the next smaller thread size and use a good quality nut.
    Axel
    P.S. For God's sake keep it metric. S.A.E. fasteners are for Harleys and lawnmowers.

Comment

Just thought of a better solution. Have some weld applied to the stripped area, grind it flush with the top of the remaining threads and cut new threads. Of course you'll need to find someone who can weld and you'll also need to buy the correct metric die. Use a new nut when you put it together. The old one is probably worn and could damage the new thread. Go easy on the torque, these things only need 15 to 20 lb-ft.
      Axel

Comment

Originally posted by axel
        ....... Go easy on the torque, these things only need 15 to 20 lb-ft.
        Axel
        The temptation to overtighten, and strip, nuts and bolts at critical locations is almost irresistable. Ever since 2 engine mounting bolts vibrated out on my (then) new 83 GS750ES 19 years ago, I have used Medium (blue) Loctite. I have never had a nut or bolt come loose since that time, except when I deliberately took it off (with no problems). And I have never been tempted to give a nut/bolt that last, fatal turn!

Simon Waters

P.S. The above assumes that you follow Axel's advice about retapping the current weakened thread.

Comment

Working...
        X