Cam Chain Tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain Tensioner

I have a ticking sound coming from my engine, sounds like it is coming from the upper part of the engine. I have taken the tensioner out and want to make sure that it is all working properly. Does anyone know how to check to make sure the springs are at proper tension etc? Just a little something to add, its quite when the bike is cold, then gets louder when warm. I cant hear it when cruising at one speed but only when idling and accelerating. ANy ideas?

Ticking noise

That noise might be cam end knock; a common complaint on these motors. It is harmless. It's caused by the cams wiggling side to side in their journals as the motor runs. Aside from being harmless, I don't know any way to eliminate it.

Comment

Valve adjustment may be it.
      EULC ON

Comment

Thanks!! I sure hope thats what it is. I think I may take it to a local shop just to have them listen, and see what they say. Its pretty loud and its really hard to explain the noise.

Comment

Lubricate and reset the tensioner. Mine was making a ticking sound untill I did that.

Does the tick increase in speed relative to the rpms if you give it throttle?

Comment

Yeah, I took out the tensioner, lubricated it up and it all seems to be working fine. THe noise I hear is still there and seems to be coming from the right side of the motor. It sounds higher up, but the thing still runs great. Could it be a wrist pin or something else in the cylinder? Also, it is quiter when the engine is cold, then gets louder as it arms up. At certain rpms it almost sounds like it isnt even there, it is just there when idling and accelerating.

Comment

I think a metallic tick, sort of a tight sound would be a valve out of adjustment. In my experience, a rod problem has a more knocking hollow type sound that is not as sharp as a valve out of adjustment.

Hope that may help you instead of confuse you. Good Luck!
              EULC ON

Comment

So I took the valve cover off and had a quick look at the valves and just by touching them I couldnt feel one that seemed to have more play then others. If there is one out of wack, will it be easily noticable or shouild I put a feeler guage in there? The noise I am hearing is coming from cylinder 4, and is most noticable when idling and accelerating. When maintaining certain rpm's, I cant hear the noise. Does this sound like it could be something valve related? The bike runs great and has lots of power. The noise is higher up and is too slow to be a wrist pin or connecting rod or something like that. Any ideas?

Comment

CHeck the valve clearances since it is appart. Put it together and don't worry about it. Our engines while bullit proof and being air cooled do make some noise. It is normal

Comment

I just took checked the valve clearences and they are all within spec. I put it back together and the noise is still there, nothing has changed. Is it possible that a valve seat could have come loose? It does sound like it is coming from higher in the engine, and is slower then what I would think could be a wrist pin or piston slap etc. It is quite loud so I dont think it is something that is normal. Any ideas from what I have described here?

Comment

Working...
                    X