Lighting upgrade.... ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighting upgrade.... ????

Hi I'd light to upgrade the lighting on my '80 GS 850L as I ride home from work in the dark and it's too easy to overdrive the stock halogen bulb.

Auxilliary lamps cost an arm and a leg - anyone recommend a cheap fix ?
    New stator installed, so should be able to handle any increased current demand. Thanks !

Sylvania superstar H4 bulb I think thats what it is called about $20
    the stuff you see on ebay is a bunch of junk

Comment

Thanks a lot, I'll look for one at my local auto parts store.
      I've seen HID kits which reputedly will work on GS's, of course the price is prohibitive. Al

Comment

The aftermarket HID kits are illegal in most States

Comment

Hi, Lynn. On the Sylvania website I found the following.

Silverstar H4, Part # H4ST, Dual filament for hi/lo beam, 55/60 watts.
          Rated for motorcycle use. Thanks

Comment

the silver star is it!! I have them in my car and bike and they are definitely whiter and make a difference.
            you can also set up a separate power wire and use the stock wiring to control a relay that toggles between low and high beam, this mod helps greatly with the voltage drop common on the old wiring, and every little bit of voltage drop effects the brightness of the headlight considerably.
            a side effect of the silver star and other legitimate white light bulbs is they burn hotter and have allot lower life span.
            I have used the PIAA ion bulbs (very bright and almost HID level of light)and they only lasted 6 months before burning out, and from what I have heard the silver stars are good for only a year at best.

Comment

Working...
            X