Bigger Gas Tank GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigger Gas Tank GS850

I regularly do a long journey which has me stopping for gas 15 miles before I get to my destination and then 45 miles before I reach home on the return leg. I'd much rather not break up the journey with gas stops so close to the end of the trip so I'm looking for options about larger tanks for the GS850. Are there any other models that have larger tanks than the 850 which can be made to fit easily?

If your GS850 is an "L" model, you're out of luck. The standard models' tanks won't fit the "L".

Also, you should state the year of your 850, since the tank for the later models is totally different from that on the early models.

Always state the year and model when inquiring about technical stuff.

Nick

Comment

1981 GS850G which makes it an X model. with a fuel tank capacity of 5.8US/4.8imp Gallons and 22 Litre.

Just to clarify the point about being "made to fit easily" by easily I mean up and including cutting back the seat and/or fitting additional mounting brackets minor stuff like that.

Comment

MPG

Doesn't that bike get about 40 MPG? So you are getting somewhere in excess of 200 miles per tank without a break? And you want to increase this by about 6 or 7%, to arrive comfortably at your destination.? Are you running into the reserve by the time you fill? There's more than 15 miles in the reserve tank -- take a test run with an extra gallomn of gas stralpped on the bike to test if you wish.

Another solution might be to add a "fuel Cell" of appropriate size, and connect it to your fuel line. You'd only need about a quart of gas to get the extra 15 miles.

SV

Comment

Re: MPG

Originally posted by sv650
          Doesn't that bike get about 40 MPG? So you are getting somewhere in excess of 200 miles per tank without a break? And you want to increase this by about 6 or 7%, to arrive comfortably at your destination.?
          I'm 260 pounds, I'm hauling a weeks worth of teaching kit, I've got a screen and I'm travelling at 80+mph for most of the journey, I'm putting over 4 gallons imp/5 gallons US when I do fill up, which is around the 150 miles mark, so I'm getting around 35/gallon which I'm happy enough with.

Are you running into the reserve by the time you fill? There's more than 15 miles in the reserve tank -- take a test run with an extra gallomn of gas stralpped on the bike to test if you wish.
          Yep, I'm 10 miles or so onto reserve.
          I just don't like the thought of running so close to the bottom of the tank. Also the end of the journey isn't over populated with filling stations (1 within 5 miles) so if there is a problem with that one it could be pushville!

Another solution might be to add a "fuel Cell" of appropriate size, and connect it to your fuel line. You'd only need about a quart of gas to get the extra 15 miles.
          I'd thought of this but it then means that I've got to design something that is functional, unobtrusive, safe and reliable, a bigger tank is the preffered solution if possible!

Comment

I would run into problems late at night when the gas stations close. My old bike was only good for about 110 miles. I got home one night then ran out of gas pulling into the station.

Comment

The mileage sounds about right -- my 850 gets into the 35-38 mpg range when I do a lot of 80+ mph interstate riding (most of my commute).

The tank that's already on a GS850 is pretty big -- I'm not sure how you'd find a donor bike with a larger tank.

You might look into some of the tricks the Paris-Dakar riders use. Most of these involve larger replacement plastic tanks or even "pannier" tanks on either side of the main tank. Some even have small tail tanks. With appropriate leakproof quick-release connectors, these could be a possible solution. A dirt bike shop might be of assistance. There might even be "adaptable" parts available for the BMW GS dirt/street bikes.

It would probably be simplest to get a few metal MSR fuel bottles (meant for a lightweight camp stove) from a camping store to carry emergency fuel. They're very light, and would be safe with gasoline.

There's an Iron Butt rider who had a huge extension welded to the top of his Kawasaki's tank. It was hideous, but I think he sewed up a cover with various pockets so it would look like a giant tank bag.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X