83 GS550L Running weird.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS550L Running weird.

Hi all, being new here I'm hoping that you can help me figure out what is going on with my bike. I just bought this a month ago after it had been sitting outside for the last year.

I bought a manual, and did an oil change with filter and replaced the plugs. The fuel tank looks good with no extra gunk in the bottom. I also did a carb sync and they were way off, but now close.

Here are my problems.

It was running pretty bad until the carb sync, now it seems to run well and does get down the road well. Idle was rough until after the sync, but seems MUCH smoother now.

When idleing, after it warms up and choke fully off, it idles between 1500 and 2500 rpms.

The idle speed adjustment doesn't seem to work as I have turned it both ways with no change in speed even after blipping the throttle.

If you brake hard and cause the front to dive, the engine sputters and almost dies. You can reproduce this symtom just sitting still, holding the front brake and compressing the front forks while pushing forward.

And after warming up, and you blip the throttle to say 3000, it stays there even after backing the throttle off. It's almost like the cable is stuck or sticky, but I have checked and the throttle is closing all the way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kabonkie.

Floats are too high, your flooding upon braking, and it is probably not helping your Idle situation.

Float height should be 20.5 mm +/- 1 mm.

Kenny
    85 550E

Comment

Floats are too high, your flooding upon braking, and it is probably not helping your Idle situation.

Float height should be 20.5 mm +/- 1 mm.

Kenny
      85 550E

Comment

Pulled the carbs today to check the floats.
        Seems the floats look fine and checked out fine.

Do think I found the problem though. When I went to pull the choke cables out, I couldn't. Full of dried gas. :x
        Cleaned this out, a little more I found in the bottom of the fuel bowls.

Also found the slides were sticky. Would go up and stick there, and took quite a little jolt to get them to come down.

Carbs pulled apart, lubed, cleaned, new gaskets and reassembled. 8)

Ran out of daylight, so will install them back into the bike tomorrow to see how it runs.

Thanks for the help

Kabonkie

Comment

Working...
        X