Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i fix a leak at the acorn bolt??

Hi,

I have a 80 gs850gl and it appears as of this morning that i have an oil leak as my chaps were wet with oil when i got to work. I can only find (after wiping it off) what appear seepage at the acorn bolt. It has a metal washer under it. I tried to tighten it down but it did not move much.
    The oil i traced seemed to come from their and run down under spark plug were another bolt is (directly under the spark plug) then catch a ride on one of the engine fins and down the front side and onto my crash bar then the ground. The oil is above the head gasket (i think that is what is called. not the base gasket but the next one up.)
    It is not coming from the valve cover gasket (it is new and clean) and no oil until the flat metal the acorn bolt sits on.
    I keep wiping hoping to see for sure. If that is what is leaking and it will not tighten down anymore how do you fix it.
    This engine has only had the valve cover gasket changed and the cam cap end seals replaced. It has 55,000 miles on it.

Please help! thanks Cj

look at the valve cover gasket, mine leaked exactly the way your describing on the right side of the motor. When I took the cover off, the gasket 'sucked in' on the fwd part of the back 'cam' portion of the cover, hard to spot, but was plain as day when I saw it. New gasket cured it right up.

Comment

Check behind the cam cover caps. There are some semi-circular rubber seals and these can harden and leak. The oil then runs out from behind the cam cover caps and sits around the acorn nuts you talk about. I have a couple of these leaking at the moment - new ones are about $4 each.

Comment

leak at acorn

I have a new valve cover gasket on and new cam end seals also they are dry. the Valve vover is dry and no color from oil leak. I took off the cam end caps at lunch to make sure that they are ok and they are dry also. Any other ideas.

Comment

Check bike bandit to see if there is supposed to be an o-ring there. There is on the 550's, maybe yours is missing.

Comment

Working...
          X