Needle Jet Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needle Jet Source

I have a '83 GS1100 with the Mikuni CV carbs. I have installed pod air filters and the exhaust is a 4 into 1 of unknown brand and a homemade baffle that is not restrictive. I have the Dynajet kit. I have things working pretty well but it is still a little lean at around 3000 rpm, a slight surge at cruising that goes away when I give it throttle. I have the needle in the richest position, clip in bottom slot. I would like to try a size richer on the needle jets but can't find a source for them. Sudco and other places carry them for some Mikunis but don't seem to have the ones I need. Anyone know of a sourc for them?

The kits usually work. I'd be a little surprised if you really do need larger needle jets.
    Have you done the following: vacuum tool synch, set mixture screws for the highest rpm, remove the floatbowl vent tubes (if Dynojet recommends), if not, are the tubes clear and not kinked? Check for any intake leaks at the manifolds? Before you can synch, the ignition timing and valve clearances must be correct.
    While taking plug reads at 1/2 throttle, what color are they?
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Mine did that too until I removed the float bowl vent tubes. It was not recommended or even mentioned in my stage three kit. :?

Comment

If you go making changes make note the dynojet and mikuni #s are different

Comment

update

I took the carbs apart again. This time I removed the needle jets. There was a lot of gunk that was plugging some of the air bleed holes. I cleaned them up and reinstalled them, needles still in richest position. The bike runs way better. I suspect I am now a little too rich so I will experiment with the clip positions until I have it right. I haven't sync'ed the carbs yet, I need to get a set of gauges or mercury sticks and then I will work on that.

This thing was a real beater when I got it. A new tire, some work on the exhaust system, a set of Progressive Suspension fork springs, a windshield, some carb work, and it is turning into a nice ride. The bike had been stored outside for several years and looked like helll, paint all oxidized and faded and everything grubby. I buffed out the paint and now it even almost looks presentable. This winter I will probably paint it and install some new stainless woven brake lines and just do a general clean up.

Comment

I was looking at a Parts Unlimited catalog the other day and they had a pretty big selection of jets(if you need them in the future).

Comment

Working...
            X