What's the oil capacityof my 450??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the oil capacityof my 450??

I just bought this '82 GS450 last night and until I find a manual I don't know how much oil the crankcase holds. Does anyone know? Or maybe a link to a webpage that has specs like that. It says use 10W40 on the dipstick. Is this what everyone uses?
    Thanks

If you have a look around the crankcase, it is usually printed right in the case. It will be in liters though.

Alternately, have a look at www.suzukicycles.org; the info might be there.

If you don't have any luck with that, buy 4 quarts or liters of the oil you're going to use. Drain your oil into an oil pan, and pour it back into an empty milk gallon. This will give you an idea to start with.

Then pour the oil in until the sight glass on the other side of the crankcase shows that it is full. (or at least above the 'L' mark)

I just checked the link: no luck with capacities.

Comment

Originally posted by Smaug
      If you have a look around the crankcase, it is usually printed right in the case. It will be in liters though.

Alternately, have a look at www.suzukicycles.org; the info might be there.

If you don't have any luck with that, buy 4 quarts or liters of the oil you're going to use. Drain your oil into an oil pan, and pour it back into an empty milk gallon. This will give you an idea to start with.

Then pour the oil in until the sight glass on the other side of the crankcase shows that it is full. (or at least above the 'L' mark)

I just checked the link: no luck with capacities.
      My 450E and 450S have no sight glass.

The Haynes says:
      Oil Change: 2.6 Litres - 5.4 pints
      with filter change 2.9 litres - 6.2 pints
      Engine overhaul 3.0 litres - 6.4 pints

And when would you change the oil w/o the filter?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by bgmart450

It originally had a dipstick as part of the oil fill plug.

The Haynes says:
        Oil Change: 2.6 Litres - 5.4 pints
        with filter change 2.9 litres - 6.2 pints
        Engine overhaul 3.0 litres - 6.4 pints
        Those numbers sound right. It should also be marked alongside the oil fill plug as 2600 ml.

Between FILTER changes??????

SV

Comment

Originally posted by sv650

It originally had a dipstick as part of the oil fill plug.
          Still does, just noted that there are GS's that never came with sight glasses... I did look for a while for mine LOL Oh haha, another note on the dipstick - while removing the dipstick while the motor is running is pretty easy, putting it back in is NOT

Those numbers sound right. It should also be marked alongside the oil fill plug as 2600 ml.
          Yup, there is a plate with those numbers on there. But nowhere does it SAY oil capacity on it. Plus in the house in front of the computer my manual is ALOT closer than my bike

Between FILTER changes??????
          SV
          I always change both, if one needs it they both should. Anyways thats the way I look at it. Plus filters aren't exactly expensive.

Comment

Working...
          X