Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got any tricks for removing an old cam cover gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got any tricks for removing an old cam cover gasket?

I'm doing the valves on my bike, and the cam cover gasket is fused to the cylinder head. So much so that I have to cut it off. I can't manage to get underneath it with a razor without cutting chips out of the aluminum.

Some local GSers suggested just using carb cleaner spray and a flat razor and taking my time. A guy at work suggested using kerosene, as that acts as kind of a lubricant which might get under there and make life a lot easier.

As it is, it looks like it's going to take hours and hours to get that damned gasket off and only about half an hour to measure and fix the valve clearances.

Does anyone else have any tricks for this that have helped you in the past?

Thanks.

spray gasket remover. its in many auto parts sections of wal marts and the likes. cheaper there than a regular autoparts store. it reminds me of paint remover. dont get any on the paint.

it will take a bit to get the gasket off if its thick but a few aplactions will get it all very clean.

Comment

when you are cleaning the ends on the head be sure not to dammage the little rubber gizmoes at the 4 coners of the rockerbox((near the ends of the camshafts

Comment

Originally posted by gremlin
        spray gasket remover. its in many auto parts sections of wal marts and the likes. cheaper there than a regular autoparts store. it reminds me of paint remover. dont get any on the paint.

it will take a bit to get the gasket off if its thick but a few aplactions will get it all very clean.
        Excellent! I was hoping there was some miracle product out there for this purpose!

Scotty, yes, I noticed those little buggers. I managed to do one without gouging it up too badly... Wish me luck for the rest. Do you think the gasket remover stuff will damage those rubber thingies near the ends of the camshafts?

FWIW, if you don't have the crash bars on your bike, it will probably be easier to just remove the camshafts to do valve clearances. The Clymer manual has a nice step-by-step procedure on how to do it. It is more involved, but you don't have to juggle around with the damn tappet depressor tool...

Comment

you may have already ruined the one. they leak quite easily. :roll: :roll:

Comment

the half moons are cheap and almost ever suzuki dealer will have them.

ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Adjusting valves on an 8-valve GS with the depressor tool is so easy it's scary. I use a single-sided razor to remove the old gasket. Gasket removing solvent helps alot, and will almost definitely damage the rubber half-moons.

Comment

Just remember, to avoid this in the future, put a light coat of bearing grease or similar on the new gasket. It will come off easily.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Also, don't let your 8 year old daughter scrap it off. I did and just as I was saying don't drop any down in the engine...PLOP! Well, I needed to do a rebuild anyway... 8O

Hap

Comment

Working...
                  X