Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions

Hey,
    I've recently come into possesion of a '76 GS750 and it's in pretty rough shape. Now I'm new to this whole bike scene, both repair and riding, and I have a few questions which will I'm sure lead to many more.

The bike came from a friend who at some point previous, layed it down and caused some decent damage in the process. There was a hole ground through the left side cover (over the alternator). The left signal light was smashed, and some other minor damage. The worst however is that after the accident the bike sat in storage for 2 years.

And now for my questions. Both sprockets are completly worn out, the back I have off but the front is rutsed sooo bad it will NOT move. Hammers wrenches and spray release, nothing has helped or worked in any way. All I ask for is suggestions.

The second question is a little worse. After sitting for so long the carb was completly filled with shlack. I got the air filter and carbs off, opened them up and with help from the manual did a decent beginners job of cleaning them up. My problem however is with the 3 fuel connector lines which connect the 4 carbs. When I separated each they simply broke and turned into what can only be described as sand.

The parts are discontinued, I tried to order them, what I want to know is what else can I use? Is there any cross listed parts, or something off another GS engine that would work? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Try penetrating oil applied and left to sit for a bit on the front sprocket. Apologies if that's what the spray was already.

OEM parts for something like a hose is probably more trouble than it's worth. I'd consult a plumbing supply or good auto supply store. If you have a large enough piece you can match it to a new hose, cool, if not you'd best bring the carb in or buy 6" of a bunch of sizes (labeled) and try to see what fits snugly.

Comment

Ebay

It sounds as though the carbs aren't worth messing with. I would check on Ebay....they show up surprisingly often, even the old ones.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

the tubes are actually the shorter siff metal ones with the double o-rings on them, ummm slide 16 of the carb repair document.

Comment

You can get the fuel tube & connectors from www.motorcyclecarbs.com
          he will make them but $$ another option is to purchase another set of carbs from ebay look for a stator cover w/ stator also. You may have to use a dremel tool and CAREFULLY cut the nut of of the front sprocket

Comment

the tubes are actually the shorter siff metal ones with the double o-rings on them, ummm slide 16 of the carb repair document.

Comment

Originally posted by groovin
              The later BS type use the metal tube/O ring HIS slide type carbs used a plastic? rubber tube that is NLA

Comment

groovin, I'm a little confused on what your 3 fuel connectors look like and how they could turn to sand. The VM carbs use two versions of these connectors. One is metal that's coated with rubber on the ends and has "built in" o-rings. The other version is metal that has seperate o-rings.
                We are talking about the "T" between carbs 2 and 3, and the two tubes between 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, correct?
                These are no longer made and the "T" is especially hard to find a good fitting one that won't leak. I just went through this while rebuilding some carbs for a member. We tried several "T" fittings and finally found the version with the seperate o-rings that worked.
                The carbs sound like they are in poor shape. Any corrosion inside? Do all the pilot and side air screws move OK? You'll need all new o-rings too, including the manifold o-rings. A member here, Robert Barr, sells all the o-rings for these carbs for a good price.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                X