new rear end needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new rear end needed

well my mechanic just called saying that i need a new rear end on my 650...he's talking 200+ in parts (rear end and paired driveshaft) plus 4 hsr labour ($58 per hr) so my question is, is it that cut n dried....is there something further i could do to investigate within the rear end (no idea just asking) and if not does 200 sound reasnable....?

Thanks

Phil

I would Question it further HAS he taken it appart? The driveshaft is usually OK Has he checked the rear wheel drive splines?? another thing to check is the beveled gear assembly On some of the 650 the shaft would shear off at the nut?
    You could get a use rear differential from Ebay probably $25 The problem is that any time you take it to a mechanic $$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I could R&R the diff & driveshaft on my 850 in probably 1 1/2 hrs

Comment

He said he stripped it down, checked the splines
      the bike is rideable so i'm guessing nothing is sheared off....
      his statement was that although the shaft is probably ok he'd stick with a paired set on used....

this mechanic works out of his garage and has so far been ok with me...
      i think he's assuming he's not going to get the work so i'm guessing if there was less to do he would suggest it......but then i'm probably to trusting...

the local re-cycle shop just quoted me 198 for the parts so whe'll see what he comes back with as a price...

Comment

I have a GS650G to part out, and I need to visit some relatives in Wisconsin....

Comment

Originally posted by Don Lobacz
          I have a GS650G to part out, and I need to visit some relatives in Wisconsin....
          Phil,

I suggest you make Don your good friend ASAP! This will probably be your best bet for parts and I'm sure you can do this yourself. Trust in the knowledge of this site and give it a shot!

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Don Lobacz
            don

i've pm'd you my email address....lets talk..

Comment

Working...
            X