Points Question-'77 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Points Question-'77 GS750

OK, I take it the points work by opening and closing when the high point of the lobe passes by the points as it turns around on the end of the shaft. Is there only one lobe and is it very obvious to see? I see a slight lobe on mine but it almost looks as if it is completely round, like its worn down. How are the points adjusted? There are 2 plates for each of the 2 points which move up and down when the screws are loosened, but it does not seem to bring the points any closer or farther away from the lobe, and does not change the gap setting.

Check this thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...pic.php?t=9513
    It will answer all your questions about ignition timing and points.

Comment

I read the past link about timing the 750 but still have a question. Mine is a '79 GS 750E
      I see the F1 mark but there are a couple of others as well.
      From left to right there is a line marked "T" and then the line marked F1-4 and after that is another line.
      Should I forget about the other lines and just use F1? Is the "T" mark TDC? That would put the F1 at about 17 degrees BTDC which I believe is the correct timing?

Comment

The F 1-4 marks are for setting the timing on cylinders 1 and 4. The F 2-3 marks are for setting the timing on cylinders 2 and 3.

The first mark on either F 1-4 or F2-3 is used to set the timing below 1500 RPM. The last mark ( | F 1-4 | ) is to set timing above 2500 RPM.

| (align these marks below 1500 RPM)
        |F 1-4 |
        | (align these marks above 2500 RPM)

same thing for F 2-3 marks

Set F 1-4 first and align using big breaker plate. Then align F 2-3 using small breaker plate.

Terry

Comment

Working...
        X