vance and hines sidewinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vance and hines sidewinder

i'm thinking of replacing stock exhaust on a 78 gs1000 with a Vance and Hines Sidewinder but the website says it requires "front end raking and right foot control modification". does anybody know what this involves?

i was also thinking of removing the air box and replacing with K&N's. i always here mixed reviews of this concept, but when looking through the galleries, i see alot of dudes doing it.

advice please!

thanks gs'ers

nige

Nigel, how much wrenching are you up for? I can't claim that I have any experience for that swap, but it sounds like a major PITA.
    Swapping out the airbox for pods often requires increasing the jet sizes. Adding a performance exhaust system does also, so if you do both, you almost certainly will have to get into your carbs. More efficient ariflow means moving more air in so more fuel has to be ready to get in as well.
    Are you really unhappy with the power characteristics of your engine now? Pods can often mean giving up smoothness off-idle. Some complain about sidedrafts upsetting the carbs when riding in windy conditions, and extended rides in rain can cause problems as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you out of pods, just be aware that you might be opening a can of worms. The best part about pods is how they make working on the bike easier. If it were mine, I'd start with a K&N replacement for your stock filter and see if that improvement gets the results you're after. If it does, you might be done fiddling with the carbs, and that's even easier to live with... My 2 cents.

Comment

The side winder pipe is race pipe NO leaning clearance on the right side. CHanging to K&Ns Will require a jet kit and lots of trial ane error testing to get it even close

Comment

sidewinder

thanks guys!

the side winder not allowing clearence on the right turns was the key info there!!! cheers. i guess its for drag racers. there are alternatives which i'll look into.

i'm up for some wrenching though, and some messin' with the carbs.

thanks again.

nige

Comment

Working...
        X