Pilot Screws - 9 turns out???? 1985 GS550ESG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot Screws - 9 turns out???? 1985 GS550ESG

On my 1985 GS550ESG I recently did a carb synch. While in there, I noticed that a PO had removed the covers off the pilot screws. The plugs were dark with carbon builup, so I am thinking that the bike is running rich. In looking for info on the pilot screws, my manual shows US bikes as "preset", but had 2.5 turns out for the UK version of the bike, with most, if not all the other specs the same. (with the exception of the Calif. model). Checking the pilot screws (there are 4 altough it only has 2 carbs controling the 4 cylinders) I found that they were screwd out 7 to 9 turns. I gently reseated them and turned them out 2.5 turns. I will check the color of the new plugs I just installed to see if that setting is correct. If anybody has any info on the pilot screw settings that have worked for them on these bikes, PLEASE let me know.
    On a related note, is there anyway to check for proper choke operation??
    Symptoms - Start bike from cold, choke on. Bike will quickly rev up to 3.5 or 4k. Slowly drops to idle, but runs very rough. If i blip the throttle, and move the choke over to off, it will maintain a good idle. On riding, especially the first 10 - 15 minutes, there is a defininte power increase if I ride with choke on. Choke off, it feels like it wants to bog down. After properly warmed, choke is off, and power is the same. Maybe in for a carb rebuild - maybe only 2, but still the same hassle as my 1981 GS550T project bike...

Thanks for any info, it will be greatly appreciated...

It could be running lean? Re adjust the screws first. To get them set you need to read the plugs too rich close them too lean open them in very small steps until the plugs look right.

Comment

Thanks for the reply...

From researching the posts, I thoght the pilots screws being that far out would lead to a rich condition, which would be causing my plugs to be black.

Last night, after setting them 2.5 out, the bike ran much smoother, with better power thru the whole rpm range. It almost felt like I was running at 85% before. I will be adjusting and readjusting until I get the plugs that nice tan color. I am still having rough running with the choke on, but the bike seems to be much happier now.

Comment

You should check your valve clearances too, as that could have an affect on idle and available power.

Comment

That is the next step. The PO had provided documentation that the valves had been recently serviced, but after finding the pilot screws so far out of whack - I am suspecting the valves as well . I will also be doing a compression test to make sure it is not rings or wear in the cylinders..will have to go to a dealer to do a leak down test if the compression test finds any problems..

Comment

My wife's are set and work best at 2 1/2 out. Still very cold natured, takes a long time to warm up, and won't start at all if under about 30 degrees, without starting fluid. Probably the choke circuit partially clogged. but the 2 1/2 turns works for me.

Comment

Working...
            X