3 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 problems

so i just got my first bike , its a 1985 gs550 es(not sure about badging) and there are 3 problems but actually 2 cuz im not worried about the third, my tach doesn't work which isnt really a big deal but id like to have it and sometimes it doesnt start, a day after i got it it wouldnt start so i charged the battery and it worked but then a couple hours later it wouldnt start again so i charged it again and that was this morning and its been working all day, hopefully it'll keep working but if it doesnt what do u think i shud do? u think it might be the generator? and if u have any ideas about the tach id be much obliged

that would be the infamous stator req problem with these old girls GS`s are known for this but easy fix new part`s from Electrex and away you go

Comment

damnit i really hope its not that and it was just the battery, i really dont have money for a new stator and req

Comment

Re tac not working? From what i have seen on the forum the thing to check on electical tac, would be the small capactors on the tac circuit board. Go to the stator pages for directions for checking charging circuits,
        before replacing them, you may only need regulator/rect unit. Make sure that you have a good ground from the reg to the battery

Comment

Yeah, really. Check the voltage at the battery with the engine running at the very least. It should be above 13.5 to somewhere around 14.5 volts DC. If it is, then it's probably a dead battery. Have you looked to see if the battery has water (electrolyte) in it? These batteries dry up fairly easy it seems.

If you don't have the correct voltage at the battery, then yes, follow the instructions on the stator pages to determine what is bad and then start saving your money. While you're doing that, just keep it on the trickle charger at night. A good, strong battery (which may or may not be the one you have now) should start you throughout one day. And park on hills the rest of the time :?

Roger

Comment

Had the same problem on my gs850g. Checked battery and regulator, and all seemed fine, still it went dead after a few days. So then i replaced al the wiring around the regulator and battery with new and thicker wires, and since then, the problem is gone. No more starting problems.

Comment

well it started this morning , hopefully the problem is licked, re tac, the guy say it might not be connected to the coil , i dont know where that is , i shud prolly just follw the wire back

Comment

damn it , it died again. so i shud check the regulator and stator, can someone help me out? i dont know where they are

Comment

Buy a repair manual and Read, Read and Read again. If your problem is the battery my advice is to buy the best one you can afford. They are NOT all equal.

Comment

Originally posted by ice109
                    damn it , it died again. so i shud check the regulator and stator, can someone help me out? i dont know where they are

Comment

yea i read that , its not like there are schmetica pictures on those pages, truth i can't afford anything right , a manual nor a battery, this was supposed to my transportation to work. so im stuck charging the batt that i have now and will try the at stat fault checker. i dnuno where i'll go from there

Comment

if you can charge the battery its probably not the battery

Comment

i charged the battery to 13.2 volts and now it wouldnt start at all, before it would start after i charged it would start. did i not charge it enough? can anyone help me one on one? my aim name is stinkif00t and my icq # 166056568

Comment

Originally posted by ice109
                            i charged the battery to 13.2 volts and now it wouldnt start at all, before it would start after i charged it would start. did i not charge it enough? can anyone help me one on one? my aim name is stinkif00t and my icq # 166056568
                            When you state that it doesn't start...
                            Is the starter spinning the engine?
                            Or is it not firing when the engine spins and running down the battery?
                            Even with voltage in the 12v range your starter should spin the engine, but not for long.
                            Have you removed and cleaned your battery connections?

Comment

yea its spinning and trying to start , a couple times u can even hear it being a little different , like a different exhaust noise but it doesnt start. i actually havent cleaned anything yet because it used to start so im still trying to do the stator fualt test

edit : i think i busted it big time , it wont start at all now

Comment

Working...
                              X