starter distroyed why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter distroyed why?

My starter stopped working yesterday, CHanged the starter & it works But haven't run the motor yet.
    Took the starter appart their is nothing salvagable brush plate bent, coils torn up armature wiped out. Anyone ever have this happen
    Stuck starter clutch???

It could have been a stuck relay too. As you can see starters will tear apart if over-reved. Some starters will actually do this to themselves as they feed off their magnetic field and keep speeding up.

Steve

Comment

New/used starter works fine, No strange noises from the starter clutch??
      I don't know

Comment

I had this same problem on my 1100E. The rotor/starter clutch assembly kept coming loose and spinning free. It wore the tapered shaft enough so that it would never tighten properly. I took it to my local dealer who globbed some super-duper Loctite on the shaft (even though the shop manual explicitly says the shaft should be absolutely clean). A week later I was riding and there was a horrible screech, the rear wheel locked up, then freed up again. I pulled over, stopped the engine, and looked for any damage. I didn't find any but when I tried to start there was nothing. I took the starter cover off and removed the starter and found just what you did. Apparently some of the Loctite got into the starter clutch and stopped it from freewheeling. This meant that the large starter clutch gear was spinning the tiny starter gear all the time, at up to 9,000 rpm. I can only guess what rpm the starter would be turning if the large gear is turning 9K. Anyway, I couldn't even get my starter apart. It was melted together. I never noticed any strange noises prior to the screech and I'm a pretty attentive guy when it comes to sounds on my bikes. I'd take a look at the starter clutch if I were you.

Good luck,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I to had this happen, mine was starter clutch related.. bottom line was it
          engaged the starter at high rpm and destroyed it..
          My thoughts are if you have a piston kit it adds stress to the starter unit, clutch etc.. My solution was to rebuild and use exacting fit.
          this meant emery tape the crank taper, clean all parts in locktite cleaner and get new starter clutch bolts with a shank. I even put loctite in the bolt shank to take up play..
          Both my engines run piston kits and I resign myself to the fact a starter clutch service is part of life every few years.. the resounding crack lets me know when a bolt lets go..

Simon

Comment

I had a issue with one of the magnets coming loose and causing damage inside the starter motor.

Hap

Comment

I'm inclined to agree, I'm going to remove the stator cover tonight and run the engine for a minute & change the oil

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                I'm inclined to agree, I'm going to remove the stator cover tonight and run the engine for a minute & change the oil
                To get the stator cover off, you'll need a hefty set of jumper cables...

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by TheNose
                  Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                  To get the stator cover off, you'll need a hefty set of jumper cables...

Terry

And THREE 12 volt Diesel batteries, wired in series. :twisted:
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                  X